The Student Room Group

optom applicant, 5th choice pharmacy PS

I’ve applied for 4 optometry unis and my 5th choice was pharmacy at Huddersfield (also applied to optom here).

pharmacy at Hudds have sent me an email asking for a pharmacy-specific PS. idk what to do. i don’t mind writing up a pharmacy-specific PS. but im afraid that if i do send a pharmacy PS, they might not give an optom offer, or give me any offers at all.

my questions:
- will hudds assess both applications independently? As in, neither (optom and pharmacy) departments will care if i applied to both?
- if i do an interview at hudds, would they mention why i submitted an optom PS in the first place?

I didn’t pick a 5th optom uni as the other ones are too far away. I picked pharmacy at hudds as a safe option in case I don’t get offers from my optom uni.
Reply 1
Original post by anmimk
I’ve applied for 4 optometry unis and my 5th choice was pharmacy at Huddersfield (also applied to optom here).

pharmacy at Hudds have sent me an email asking for a pharmacy-specific PS. idk what to do. i don’t mind writing up a pharmacy-specific PS. but im afraid that if i do send a pharmacy PS, they might not give an optom offer, or give me any offers at all.

my questions:
- will hudds assess both applications independently? As in, neither (optom and pharmacy) departments will care if i applied to both?
- if i do an interview at hudds, would they mention why i submitted an optom PS in the first place?

I didn’t pick a 5th optom uni as the other ones are too far away. I picked pharmacy at hudds as a safe option in case I don’t get offers from my optom uni.

I remember someone mentioning that universities tend to not give two offers for two courses… however this was from like 7-8 years ago so things most likely changed.
Reply 2
I assume the applications will be assessed independently as from what I heard at Huddersfield the admission tutor who teaches the course you’ve applied for.
Reply 3
Original post by M8-Idek
Original post by anmimk

my questions:

I remember someone mentioning that universities tend to not give two offers for two courses… however this was from like 7-8 years ago so things most likely changed.

Thank you for replying!! Do you think I should play it safe and reply back to their email and tell them I won’t be submitting a pharmacy related PS? I’d rather get an optom offer instead of just pharmacy or no offers at all.
Reply 4
Original post by anmimk
Original post by M8-Idek
Original post by anmimk

my questions:

Thank you for replying!! Do you think I should play it safe and reply back to their email and tell them I won’t be submitting a pharmacy related PS? I’d rather get an optom offer instead of just pharmacy or no offers at all.

If you want to go for it but before that ask them first what’s the likelihood they’d give two offers .
Reply 5
Original post by M8-Idek
Original post by anmimk
Original post by M8-Idek
Original post by anmimk

my questions:

If you want to go for it but before that ask them first what’s the likelihood they’d give two offers .

It’s better to hear from the uni rather than things people have said from 8 years ago.
Reply 6
Original post by M8-Idek
Original post by anmimk
Original post by M8-Idek
Original post by anmimk

my questions:

Thank you so much. I have just emailed them. Once I get a reply, I will share what they’ve said in case anyone else is in a similar situation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending