The Student Room Group

ucas help urgent

is it risky to apply for both optom and pharmacy ?
Original post by choutr
is it risky to apply for both optom and pharmacy ?

Isn't the issue more that you'll struggle to write a personal statement that targets both?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Isn't the issue more that you'll struggle to write a personal statement that targets both?

ican send the person statement for optometry directly to aston whichiswhat h=they said i can do
im gonan apply 2/5 for optom
3/5 for pharmacy
Original post by choutr
ican send the person statement for optometry directly to aston whichiswhat h=they said i can do
im gonan apply 2/5 for optom
3/5 for pharmacy

OK. Understood. I don't think that in principal it's too risky to only apply for Optometry and Pharmacy courses. I guess it would depend on to which unis you were applying, and with what predicted grades.
Reply 4
OK. Understood. I don't think that in principal it's too risky to only apply for Optometry and Pharmacy courses. I guess it would depend on to which unis you were applying, and with what predicted grades.

yehh my predicted is abb
Original post by choutr
yehh my predicted is abb

And, other than Aston, you're applying to...?
Reply 6
And, other than Aston, you're applying to...?

pharmacy
aston
wolverhampton
dmu

optometry
aston
huddersfield
Original post by choutr
pharmacy
aston
wolverhampton
dmu

optometry
aston
huddersfield

Well, your predicted grades meet the entry requirements for all three Pharmacy choices - so that's a good start.

Optometry at Aston is might be a stretch as they want AAA-ABB (depending on how many science A levels you're taking and whether or not you're a contextual candidate.) So you'd need to be a contextual candidate with three science A levels for your predicted grades to meet their requirements. But having one or two "aspiration" choices on your UCAS form is fine - as long a the rest are more realistic (which they are).

Optometry at Huddersfield looks a tad aspirational too, given that they want AAB. They may be prepared to make you an offer (especially if you're a contextual candidate), but they may not. Having said that, although they ask for AAB, the Uni Guide reports that for current students, the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" are "Chemistry C | Biology C | Psychology B" (source).

So, to answer your original question ("is it risky to apply for both optom and pharmacy ?"), I'd say not. :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
If you get 5 offers which would you pick as firm?
Reply 9
You might like to spend the Christmas break doing a bit more research and working out which, if either, of these professional careers you actually want to do. And you could spend a gap year getting some relevant experience.

Community pharmacist job profile | Prospects.ac.uk
Hospital pharmacist job profile | Prospects.ac.uk
Optometrist job profile | Prospects.ac.uk
NHS Job roles - Explore roles | Health Careers
Reply 10
Well, your predicted grades meet the entry requirements for all three Pharmacy choices - so that's a good start.

Optometry at Aston is might be a stretch as they want AAA-ABB (depending on how many science A levels you're taking and whether or not you're a contextual candidate.) So you'd need to be a contextual candidate with three science A levels for your predicted grades to meet their requirements. But having one or two "aspiration" choices on your UCAS form is fine - as long a the rest are more realistic (which they are).

Optometry at Huddersfield looks a tad aspirational too, given that they want AAB. They may be prepared to make you an offer (especially if you're a contextual candidate), but they may not. Having said that, although they ask for AAB, the Uni Guide reports that for current students, the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" are "Chemistry C | Biology C | Psychology B" (source).

So, to answer your original question ("is it risky to apply for both optom and pharmacy ?"), I'd say not. :smile:

thank youusomuch for the info
and with huddersfield just to play it safe i would apply for the science extended egree for optometry which asks for cdd

THANKYOUUSOMUCHHH

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending