The Student Room Group

Advice for applying to optometry

Hey I’m thinking of applying to city (both the standard and the introductory year course as my insurance) Manchester and Anglia Ruskin. I’m struggling between choosing Cardiff University or Hertfordshire for my fifth option. What do you guys recommend? I can’t find much info on optometryat those unis specifically but I’ll have another. Also does anyone recommend I change any of the options I’m currently set on? And for anyone who has completed interviews for optometry how did they go?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Faizachaudry
Hey I’m thinking of applying to city (both the standard and the introductory year course as my insurance) Manchester and Anglia Ruskin. I’m struggling between choosing Cardiff University or Hertfordshire for my fifth option. What do you guys recommend? I can’t find much info on optometryat those unis specifically but I’ll have another. Also does anyone recommend I change any of the options I’m currently set on? And for anyone who has completed interviews for optometry how did they go?

Phone City and ask if you need to use two choices or will they automatically consider you for the foundation year if you don't get an offer for the standard course. You don't have to decide all your choices now. You can submit your application with one, two, three or four choices now and then add the others before the 31 January deadline. This will give you more time to research your remaining options. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Phone City and ask if you need to use two choices or will they automatically consider you for the foundation year if you don't get an offer for the standard course. You don't have to decide all your choices now. You can submit your application with one, two, three or four choices now and then add the others before the 31 January deadline. This will give you more time to research your remaining options. :smile:

Oh I didn’t know you could do that! Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 3

Oh I didn’t know you could do that! Thank you so much :smile:

hey what did they say?

Hi there,
We're happy you're considering Herts, especially as we've been ranked 1st in the East of England for optometry in the most recent Complete University Guide, 2024🙂.
We offer both the MOptom Master of Optometry that leads to full registration, as well as the Initial Year for Extended Degree in Science - Optometry. Our close proximity to London (we're just 25 mins north by train) means we offer access to some exciting practice placements as well as great social and cultural experiences.
If you wanted to find out more, we have our open day this coming Saturday 25 November and our optometry session still has places - you can book here. You can also contact our Optometry Admissions Tutor at: [email protected] for any specific questions.
Do watch our Welcome to Herts video for a glimpse of student life and the opportunities we offer.
All the best with your choices and applications 🙂
Gaynor
Marketing and Communications Team
Reply 5
Original post by University of Hertfordshire

Hi there,
We're happy you're considering Herts, especially as we've been ranked 1st in the East of England for optometry in the most recent Complete University Guide, 2024🙂.
We offer both the MOptom Master of Optometry that leads to full registration, as well as the Initial Year for Extended Degree in Science - Optometry. Our close proximity to London (we're just 25 mins north by train) means we offer access to some exciting practice placements as well as great social and cultural experiences.
If you wanted to find out more, we have our open day this coming Saturday 25 November and our optometry session still has places - you can book here. You can also contact our Optometry Admissions Tutor at: [email protected] for any specific questions.
Do watch our Welcome to Herts video for a glimpse of student life and the opportunities we offer.
Gaynor

if u dont get an offer for the moptm course will u automatically be put on the initial year course
Reply 6
Original post by hiijsbsh
hey what did they say?

Hey I emailed city and they said you have to apply to both if you want to be considered for both.
Reply 7
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi there,
Gaynor

Hello,
For the initial year is psychology accepted as a second science? I do biology, psychology and socioloogy and want to apply?
Original post by spooky123
Hello,
For the initial year is psychology accepted as a second science? I do biology, psychology and socioloogy and want to apply?

As psychology is not listed, it is best to email admissions and ask then you won't be wasting a choice if they don't take it.

Hi there,
We’re happy to see we are one of your options!
If you have any questions about your application or anything else to do with ARU, our team are happy to answer. Contact them via email anytime: [email protected]
Good luck!
Jemma
Reply 10
My UCAS application got sent off to my unis earlier today! 🙂
Are any of you guys still waiting for your application to be sent off?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 11
My UCAS application got sent off to my unis earlier today! 🙂
Are any of you guys still waiting for your application to be sent off?

SAME!! I just sent of my application and my UCAS coordinator said it's all good and gonna be sent off to the university tomorrow. I'm so nervous * I keep thinking what if I don't get in**
Reply 12
Original post by _yes_
SAME!! I just sent of my application and my UCAS coordinator said it's all good and gonna be sent off to the university tomorrow. I'm so nervous * I keep thinking what if I don't get in**

Don’t stress, you can relax now that it has been sent off! You’ve done the best you can :smile:
Reply 13
Don’t stress, you can relax now that it has been sent off! You’ve done the best you can :smile:

Thank you I'll tryy T-T
Reply 14
Original post by faizachaudry
got an offer earlier today to study opotmetry at city! 🙂

o.m.d.s
congratualtionssss!!! Did u say u applied literally 24 hours ago and u got the offer??? Well done >_<
Reply 15
Original post by _yes_
o.m.d.s
congratualtionssss!!! Did u say u applied literally 24 hours ago and u got the offer??? Well done >_<

Yess I did, thank you so much! Don’t stress if you don’t hear back from your university’s soon because unis are going/ already on Christmas break so it might be a while until they actually check your application. It doesn’t mean anything was necessarily wrong with your application of course. Check when the universities you’ve applied to are ok Christmas break. What unis did you apply to btw, if you don’t mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 16
Yess I did, thank you so much! Don’t stress if you don’t hear back from your university’s soon because unis are going/ already on Christmas break so it might be a while until they actually check your application. It doesn’t mean anything was necessarily wrong with your application of course. Check when the universities you’ve applied to are ok Christmas break. What unis did you apply to btw, if you don’t mind me asking? :smile:

I applied to City, Hertfordshire, Queen Mary's and St George's. Im only applying to 2 optom unis because there are no other ones in london T-T and I wanna say at home. The other three im applying for biology and biomed science so I can do optom postgrad if necessary. My application will be sent off tomrrowww. Also did u end up applying to both intro to optom and normal optom at city? bcs I only applied to the intro one
Reply 17

Also is there an interview for optometry at city??
Reply 18
Original post by _yes_
I applied to City, Hertfordshire, Queen Mary's and St George's. Im only applying to 2 optom unis because there are no other ones in london T-T and I wanna say at home. The other three im applying for biology and biomed science so I can do optom postgrad if necessary. My application will be sent off tomrrowww. Also did u end up applying to both intro to optom and normal optom at city? bcs I only applied to the intro one

Yes, I ended up applying to both courses. Also SAME! I want to stay at home for uni. What are your predicted grades and what A-levels do you do, if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing Bio is one of them.. interesting that you're applying to different courses but I'm curious as to how you made your Personal statemnt sutiable for Bio, Biomed and Optometry?
Reply 19
Yes, I ended up applying to both courses. Also SAME! I want to stay at home for uni. What are your predicted grades and what A-levels do you do, if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing Bio is one of them.. interesting that you're applying to different courses but I'm curious as to how you made your Personal statemnt sutiable for Bio, Biomed and Optometry?

yess i do bio, chem and maths and I'm predicted ABB so one grade short of the thing we need T-T. For the personal statement I talked mainly about my expereinces and emphasised how biology is the core and its one of the main things that got me into optometry. The biomed science is like my absolute last resort so I didnt rlly focusing on appealing to them and just sortta hope that what Ive said about biology is enough T-T

Also I cant find anywhere wether or not opom needs interviews. Do u need to do an interview now that you've got in or??

Quick Reply

Latest