The Student Room Group

Why study modern languages instead of study abroad?

For example, if one is interested in French lit and have done French al, wouldn't it be better for him/her to apply for a French Uni instead of doing a modern language degree in the UK?
Reply 1
Original post by Francesca Yu
For example, if one is interested in French lit and have done French al, wouldn't it be better for him/her to apply for a French Uni instead of doing a modern language degree in the UK?

And what should they study in France? If they decide to study the equivalent of a French literature degree then they would be at a distinct disadvantage compared to the native speakers. On top of that French universities don’t on the whole have any societies outside of the academic courses. Most large cities have a university and students continue to live at home and go to the local uni where possible as there aren’t maintenance loans. It’s all together a different and less enriching experience.

You normally need to have native or near native proficiency in the target language to functionally study in a country speaking that language - even if the course is in English you need to live there.

Modern languages degrees are normally designed for those with only A-level standard, or sometimes no background, in the language.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
You normally need to have native or near native proficiency in the target language to functionally study in a country speaking that language - even if the course is in English you need to live there.

Modern languages degrees are normally designed for those with only A-level standard, or sometimes no background, in the language.

Thank you, and is it possible to do a master of PhD in literature in the target country after a modern languages degree? I know it depends on individual, but what level is supposed to achieve in mod lan, like C1 or C2?
Reply 4
Thank you, and is it possible to do a master of PhD in literature in the target country after a modern languages degree? I know it depends on individual, but what level is supposed to achieve in mod lan, like C1 or C2?

As your first post specifically mentions French I’m taking it that you are hoping to study in France. You would most definitely require a C2 for a masters, and be at the top of the C2 grading to cope with the demands of a « doctorate ».
Reply 5
Original post by Euapp
As your first post specifically mentions French I’m taking it that you are hoping to study in France. You would most definitely require a C2 for a masters, and be at the top of the C2 grading to cope with the demands of a « doctorate ».

I see, thank you very much!

Yes in principle, provided you meet any other requirements.

Since A-level would in principle be around B1-B2 level I would expect degree level study would be aiming to give you near native proficiency i.e. C2.

Of course you can attain that level of proficiency outside of a degree through other language study plus immersive experiences in a location speaking the target language. A modern language degree is just a straightforward route to that though. Note also for some languages it may be harder to develop that level of ability outside of a more structured/formal programme (e.g. many non-European languages if you aren't a heritage speaker).
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending