The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary International Relations

HI! I just received a conditional offer for this programme and one of the conditions is for me to take a general 7.0 in YELTS, but on their website it says that they accept IGCSE as an English qualification, the requirement being to have an A. I have taken an A in IGCSE and the school even asked for my certificate and I cannot understand why they want me to take YELTS. Any ideas? Anybody going through something similar?
Original post by Anonymous
HI! I just received a conditional offer for this programme and one of the conditions is for me to take a general 7.0 in YELTS, but on their website it says that they accept IGCSE as an English qualification, the requirement being to have an A. I have taken an A in IGCSE and the school even asked for my certificate and I cannot understand why they want me to take YELTS. Any ideas? Anybody going through something similar?

If you go to the page that lists the English requirements for foreign students: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/international-students/englishlanguagerequirements/undergraduate/ and you scroll down to the School of Politics and International Relations, you see that, indeed, they want you to have 7.0 at IELTS. I didn't see any reference to GCSE English being accepted as proof of English level, but I wasn't looking too hard for it. If you have read that GCSE English is acceptable somewhere, then it's definitely worth sending a message to Queen Mary admissions via mysis and query this! :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Anonymous #1

The same thing happened to me I was accepted for Business management degree and their condition was I take the IELTS however I messaged them on the portal that I got a 7/A in IGCSE English and they accepted that as an equivalent.
I think messaging them is worth a try.
Reply 3
Original post by helloitsmeeeee
The same thing happened to me I was accepted for Business management degree and their condition was I take the IELTS however I messaged them on the portal that I got a 7/A in IGCSE English and they accepted that as an equivalent.
I think messaging them is worth a try.

I messaged them earlier today, they haven't replied yet. Thanks for letting me know, hopefully they will agree for me as well.
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard
If you go to the page that lists the English requirements for foreign students: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/international-students/englishlanguagerequirements/undergraduate/ and you scroll down to the School of Politics and International Relations, you see that, indeed, they want you to have 7.0 at IELTS. I didn't see any reference to GCSE English being accepted as proof of English level, but I wasn't looking too hard for it. If you have read that GCSE English is acceptable somewhere, then it's definitely worth sending a message to Queen Mary admissions via mysis and query this! :smile:

I checked again and for this particular programme they do not accept IGCSE English but they do accept GCE As and A Level. I already have my As grade with is a B and fits the requirement and am going to take A Level soon. I did messaged them, hopefully this will be sufficient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending