The Student Room Group

Mathematics VS. Technology (jobs)

I was being bullied today about my liking of Mathematics. They told me that I cannot get a job in the field of mathematics as computers and technology are replacing mathematicians.
Is there any job that anyone with a Mathematics degree (any degree level) can get?
Preferably one where you do not work with people?
Is this true, that technology will replace mathematicians and kill their jobs?
Reply 1
Original post by Trypophobia
I was being bullied today about my liking of Mathematics. They told me that I cannot get a job in the field of mathematics as computers and technology are replacing mathematicians.
Is there any job that anyone with a Mathematics degree (any degree level) can get?

I am sorry to hear you are being bullied and people are treating you this way. I would strongy advise you to speak to a parent, teacher or another trusted adult about this situation.

With regards to the need for mathematics disappearing, it is quite the opposite. Mathematics is at the core of technology, AI, engineering etc. In order to study most BSc undergraduate degrees, you need Maths A level. You certainly need it to study a Computer Science or Engineering degree, and most Architecture degrees ask for A level Maths.
Here are some articles that you might find interesting to read:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mathematics/research/opportunities/royal-society-entrepreneur-in-residence/mathematics-in-innovation/
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/crucial-role-mathematics-artificial-intelligence-shila-kishore

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. As others have said Maths is at the heart of technology and AI. Most maths degrees now include a coding element, so it will help prepare you for jobs in technology. It's hard to say what will happen to the job market in the future however, jobs in finance, health and data science are all open to people who have completed maths degrees. Also, many of these jobs involve lots of independent work, so are a good option if you'd prefer not to work with many people. Similarly, mathematical research is still happening so you can get jobs doing pure mathematics if that is something you are interested in!

I hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University Maths Student Ambassador)

Hi @Trypophobia,

It's a shame when people keep to the stigma of hating the concept of Mathematics, particularly in this case and as a Maths student myself I have had first hand expirience with people telling me the same thing. Maths is a fundemental subject used in most areas and is required for alot of degrees. In reguards to employability, a maths degree gives you alot of soft skills that are widly sort after in the workplace such as problem solving, inginuity, and working with data. There is also oppotunities to get to grips with various coding softwares such as python or R, which are used by alot of companies including firefox, and HSBC.
Please do not feel dishartened by anyone trying bully you out of liking Maths.

Hopefully this is useful
Matthew
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest