The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Which credit transfer to take

I dropped out of uni through covid where I studied mathematics and statistics at a red brick uni. Currently I have a pretty good job (too good to want to go back to uni at least) so I have been looking at doing an open university degree in my spare time and have applied for credit transfer and received these options back:

- BSc Mathematics and statistics 60 credits, 300 to complete (My original course)
- BSc Data Science 90 credits, 270 to complete
- BSc Open degree 150 credits, 210 to complete

Now I originally didn't want to do an Open degree as I thought it sounded easier and more wishy washy but given the options it seems like a no brainer. My main concerns are do employers look differently when they see "Open Degree" vs something that says "Mathematics"? if anyone has any previous experience is love to hear.
Hi

I have an open degree (with credit transfer) and for most employers, because you need to include modules studied, it won't be a disadvantage. Sometimes, it can even help, as I've been able to dress my degree as one of three subjects due to the variety of modules taken. However, it can be a pain explaining the degree on applications (not necessarily a disadvantage - just a nuisance!)

There has only been one time that I was flatly refused/rejected for having an open degree (to do a PGCE), but I think that's more a reflection of the uni I was applying to.

Incidentally, if you apply for one of those options, you can change the programme later on. Have a look at the modules you fancy, and base your choice on that. (For some level 2 and 3 modules, there might be prerequisites, but your previous study will be taken into consideration, but that's also something to think about.)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest