The Student Room Group

STEM Paid Internships this summer (i’m 18, haven’t started uni)

As it says on the tin. I was wondering if it’s possible to find paid summer internships for 18 year olds in the STEM field. Looked around, but can’t find much. Just curious to know if I can find anything as such - any suggestions?

I’m really not picky - although, maybe not anything medicine related !
Reply 1
You need to look in your local area. Ask your self a few questions
1. Which area within STEM? Science, Technology, Engineering, Medicine? Once you decide which field, then actively seek out those oppo in your local area - go to google and search for top companies in those field.
2. Network - ask your teachers or your family for any potential roles

Hope this helps
Original post by solarpeas
As it says on the tin. I was wondering if it’s possible to find paid summer internships for 18 year olds in the STEM field. Looked around, but can’t find much. Just curious to know if I can find anything as such - any suggestions?

I’m really not picky - although, maybe not anything medicine related !

STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Medicine does not factor into that, and medicine is a healthcare field, not a STEM field.

That aside, chances are non-existent. After all, why would a technology company pay an 18 year old with no experience to be an "intern"? They gain nothing from that process and you couldn't be practically useful in working on any projects due to not having any experience, and that would also mean you would require more supervision from others and actually have a negative effect on overall productivity/output. Interns are normally penultimate year degree students or fresh grads, not school leavers.

This is a non-starter, either spend your summer relaxing before uni or get a normal job for a school leaver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending