The Student Room Group

I’m not sure what career I want to go into now

For alevels I study economics, mathematics and product design. I originally considered going into architecture however it’s a 7 year course. The salary isn’t great and I’ve heard many students drop out. Also, I don’t take art which puts me at a disadvantage when creating a portfolio. Then I considered engineering but many universities require physics which I don’t take :frown:((((( I also considered going into accounting and finance but I don’t want to give up on architecture (I won’t be able to create multiple personal statements and apply to universities with completely different courses) If there are any suggestions on degree courses I can choose along with architecture it will be highly appreciated :smile:
Original post by Becky….
For alevels I study economics, mathematics and product design. I originally considered going into architecture however it’s a 7 year course. The salary isn’t great and I’ve heard many students drop out. Also, I don’t take art which puts me at a disadvantage when creating a portfolio. Then I considered engineering but many universities require physics which I don’t take :frown:((((( I also considered going into accounting and finance but I don’t want to give up on architecture (I won’t be able to create multiple personal statements and apply to universities with completely different courses) If there are any suggestions on degree courses I can choose along with architecture it will be highly appreciated :smile:

Just to clarify, architecture isn't a seven-year course but it will take so long (or longer :eek:) to qualify fully. The 'usual' pathway is a 3-yr degree followed by a year (or two) working in practice, followed by a 2-yr masters then another year in practice before you take your final exam. You should be earning during your time in practice.

Product design is still a good A level to have for architecture so don't let your lack of art put you off.

Other courses you could consider:

Landscape Architecture
Urban Planning and Design
Architectural Technology
Interior Design
Reply 2
If you're keen on architecture then Architectural Technology might be something work looking into further - have a search for the CIAT to get more of an idea of how they operate.
Original post by Becky….

Hi there,

There is the option to study an architecture degree with a placement year (4 year course) that way you could gain some experience during your degree which may be useful.

I am a 4th year studying an integrated masters in Mathematics & Statistics. I am extremely lucky to have an Audit (accounting) job with PwC ready for when I graduate. The reason I mention this is because many accounting jobs do not require a specific degree and simply want you to have some form of degree. This could be an option for if you want to pursue architecture for now but decide a career in it is not for you. There will still be options available.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending