The Student Room Group

What do people generally get in November Mocks GCSE?

Hi, just to give me an idea where I should be at after my mocks, what do people with 8s and 9s usually get in their mocks for November? do you straight up get 7,8,9s or work yourself up?
Original post by og-iconx
Hi, just to give me an idea where I should be at after my mocks, what do people with 8s and 9s usually get in their mocks for November? do you straight up get 7,8,9s or work yourself up?

got 7 in maths mock and 9 in real thing
got a 7 in bio and chem mock and 9 in real thing
got a 6 in physics mock and 8 in real thing
7 in geography mock and 8 in real thing
3 in economics mock and 8 in real thing (idk how i pulled this off)
3 in german mock and 5 in real thing
eng lang/lit i got 6-6 in my mocks and a 6 as my final grade
3 in music mock and 6 in real thing

but i had to work for it for my final exam. those mocks allowed me to know where i was working at
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kk15405

but i had to work for it for my final exam. those mocks allowed me to know where i was working at

Thank you!!! My grades are so similar to yours lol, I got a 6 in physics last year in year 10 like bang on 6, how did you get a 8, I’m really struggling with physics
Original post by kk15405

I got 6s in English lang and maths and Ive been doing revision in the half term to get the grades to at least a 7, in my year 10 mocks i disregarded these subjects just because i didnt know how to revise
Thank you!!! My grades are so similar to yours lol, I got a 6 in physics last year in year 10 like bang on 6, how did you get a 8, I’m really struggling with physics

Hiya there!

J wanted to say for physics, we have GCSE physics notes here actually where we have concise notes with lots of diagrams on all the different physics topics :u:. I would start by downloading or printing out the specification for physics and for your exam board, then go through it with a fine tooth comb and make a list of topics that you're weaker on! Then, once a week on a weekend, go through some of those topics - watch YouTube videos on them (there are loads of amazing physics GCSE YouTube channels out there!) and do some past papers :h:.

Also, it is definitely impossible to improve your scores for the real GCSEs! For example, I think i was getting like 6s in my GCSE History mocks in Year 10 - then for the real exam I somehow got a 9 :tongue:.

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind
Reply 5
Original post by StudyMind
Hiya there!

J wanted to say for physics, we have GCSE physics notes here actually where we have concise notes with lots of diagrams on all the different physics topics :u:. I would start by downloading or printing out the specification for physics and for your exam board, then go through it with a fine tooth comb and make a list of topics that you're weaker on! Then, once a week on a weekend, go through some of those topics - watch YouTube videos on them (there are loads of amazing physics GCSE YouTube channels out there!) and do some past papers :h:.

Also, it is definitely impossible to improve your scores for the real GCSEs! For example, I think i was getting like 6s in my GCSE History mocks in Year 10 - then for the real exam I somehow got a 9 :tongue:.

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind

Thank you
i can't really remember what i got in mocks but i think it was like 3/4 9s, mainly 8s and a 7 in history. But i got 11 9s in the real thing
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi not sure if this will help because I do highers/advanced highers and not GCSE or A levels, but generally speaking I think depending on the student, if you are a very studious I think getting an A1/8 would be regular :smile:

I got i think two 8s, a lot of 7s and a 5 in english language+literature and a 5 in biology
In my final gcse i got seven 9s (including bio and eng lang), an 8 in literature and computer science and 7s in my languages.
I used my november mocks as an opportunity to find my flaws and build on them to try and do the best i could in the summer. Hope it works out for you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Rohan o/
I got i think two 8s, a lot of 7s and a 5 in english language+literature and a 5 in biology
In my final gcse i got seven 9s (including bio and eng lang), an 8 in literature and computer science and 7s in my languages.
I used my november mocks as an opportunity to find my flaws and build on them to try and do the best i could in the summer. Hope it works out for you :smile:

Helps a lot, thank you, what did you change in your revision to get that?
Helps a lot, thank you, what did you change in your revision to get that?

Well I started taking advantage of all my resources properly and started doing more past papers. All it really took was practicing things I already knew how to do and working on the things I didn't understand like reading the CGP guides and textbooks
Original post by Rohan o/
Well I started taking advantage of all my resources properly and started doing more past papers. All it really took was practicing things I already knew how to do and working on the things I didn't understand like reading the CGP guides and textbooks

Do you have any tips for English literature and how to get a decent grade in maths
Original post by n3vermind.
Do you have any tips for English literature and how to get a decent grade in maths

I teach a lot of year 10s and 11s in maths and some of them don't understand the concepts (for which you should use revision guides and online resources) but some of them are getting 7s and 8s and aiming for 9s but not doing enough practice. Maths is like 10% understanding the content and 90% practice. As for english literature, I dont have a lot of advice but what I did is find other peoples notes and written answers online and picked out techniques they were using and used them myself and got feedback from my english teacher. Then i just worked on what he told me to and went from a 5 to an 8.

Quick Reply

Latest