The Student Room Group

A level combinations for architecture including geography

I need help deciding my a level choices. I’ve already decided i’m going to take geography as it is a facilitating humanities subject and i’m already quite good at gcse level geography and i’m highly interested in it. It would be really helpful if someone could tell me the possible a level combinations (3 a levels) that would help me pursue an architecture career/degree. I haven’t fully decided on architecture but although I don’t want to pick maths a level at all, as it wouldn’t be a good decision and would probably be my lowest grade, I want to see the different options I could choose to decide whether or not architecture is worth working towards.

These are my current grades

Geography 8
English Lang 7
English Lit 7
Maths 7
Business 9
Health and Social D2
Combined Science 7:7
Spanish 7
Original post by !mars
I need help deciding my a level choices. I’ve already decided i’m going to take geography as it is a facilitating humanities subject and i’m already quite good at gcse level geography and i’m highly interested in it. It would be really helpful if someone could tell me the possible a level combinations (3 a levels) that would help me pursue an architecture career/degree. I haven’t fully decided on architecture but although I don’t want to pick maths a level at all, as it wouldn’t be a good decision and would probably be my lowest grade, I want to see the different options I could choose to decide whether or not architecture is worth working towards.

Geography 8
English Lang 7
English Lit 7
Maths 7
Business 9
Health and Social D2
Spanish 7

Id check the architecture courses on unis websites to see what they require. They may require specific subjects to get in. If they do, you will need to have them. If they just specify certain grades then you would be free to choose whichever subjects you wanted as long as you got the required grades.
Original post by !mars

Geography 8
English Lang 7
English Lit 7
Maths 7
Business 9
Health and Social D2
Spanish 7

Have a look at the following thread that shows the A level requirements (if any) for architecture courses:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Not having a creative subject at GCSE or A level could be a problem for you. Do you draw in your free time? Even if art is not a required subject, you will be asked to submit a portfolio of creative work as part of the application process, and the degree itself is around 50% design work.
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
Have a look at the following thread that shows the A level requirements (if any) for architecture courses:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Not having a creative subject at GCSE or A level could be a problem for you. Do you draw in your free time? Even if art is not a required subject, you will be asked to submit a portfolio of creative work as part of the application process, and the degree itself is around 50% design work.

I do draw in my free time and I am aware of the portfolio you have to submit. I wouldn’t mind doing that if when I apply for universities I am still interested in architecture/if the a levels I take will allow me to apply to study architecture
Reply 4
Hey!

So traditionally, Architecture applicants take Maths, Physics and Art. You've mentioned that Maths at GCSE is not your preferred subject but may take it to boost your chances - Maths at A level is significantly more challenging compared to GCSE and requires a good, foundational maths skill. Otherwise, I'm afraid that you would struggle quite a bit (even more so for Physics, which is even more challenging, time-consuming and maths/ problem-solving heavy).

On the bright side, as Architecture is so interdisciplinary, subject choices can be relatively flexible! You'll find that for UK universities, they generally don't have specific subjects that are required, though some like Bath do prefer Maths and/ or Physics more. If you believe that Maths and Physics are completely out of the question, there may be some workarounds.

You said that you really enjoy GCSE Geography - A level geography may be a good choice as not only is it an essay based subject that is generally well regarded by universities, you'll be able to do well and enjoy it! Geography at A level is covered in a lot more depth for both physical and human, so I'm sure you'll have fun 🙂 It also links in with Architecture for some aspects, so it is somewhat relevant

I would definitely recommend Art A level as one of your subjects. This would help a lot for your portfolio and general art skills, as you would be able to gain a formal perspective alongside what you've done in your free time. So this is a top priority (though it's not a dealbreaker if you don't have it when you apply, it just means a lot more work).

How do you feel about other STEM and humanities subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest