The Student Room Group

GCSE 2nd set of mocks

Hi, my GCSE mocks (yr11) start 18 Feb. These are my second set of mocks and not the ones that are given to 6th forms, those ones were in November and I have already submitted my applications. Honestly, I'm looking for advice I just can't find any energy to revise and when I'm doing other stuff I just feel sick and guilty about not revising. I worked so hard for the last mocks and got decentish grades but then I was tired for weeks and weeks, and I'm dreading that feeling. There's only a few days left till my mocks and I have been doing decent revision but stopped about 2 weeks ago. I have no energy to do it like I mean excessive revision or any at all tbh just for my mocks. I could pass all well enough with 5/6s with minimal to no revision only science and maths. I don't know what to do, are these mocks that important shall I just wing them? I really need to revise maths however as I am barely scrapping a 4 but can't find any energy to do it because i dislike it probably cause I get terrible grades and missed out on a huge amount of learning the syllabus. I need any advice please, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by raucous-craving
Hi, my GCSE mocks (yr11) start 18 Feb. These are my second set of mocks and not the ones that are given to 6th forms, those ones were in November and I have already submitted my applications. Honestly, I'm looking for advice I just can't find any energy to revise and when I'm doing other stuff I just feel sick and guilty about not revising. I worked so hard for the last mocks and got decentish grades but then I was tired for weeks and weeks, and I'm dreading that feeling. There's only a few days left till my mocks and I have been doing decent revision but stopped about 2 weeks ago. I have no energy to do it like I mean excessive revision or any at all tbh just for my mocks. I could pass all well enough with 5/6s with minimal to no revision only science and maths. I don't know what to do, are these mocks that important shall I just wing them? I really need to revise maths however as I am barely scrapping a 4 but can't find any energy to do it because i dislike it probably cause I get terrible grades and missed out on a huge amount of learning the syllabus. I need any advice please, thanks.

Hi! I'm a current year 13, i got grades 6-9 in my GCSEs. If you ask for help on specific subjects i can give you a bit more guidance but yh this is what i can do for now.

Maths
I understand that you don't have the energy to do it but if you don't put effort into your mocks (assuming this is your last before your exams) you will never know your best performance until results day. Plus when you get your mock papers back, you'll realise that you could have done a question if you just revised over it.

I found that websites like Mathsgenie really helped with practice questions. Watch lots of videos from The GCSE Maths Tutor on youtube too. Utilise online resources that your school might be paying for e.g. mathswatch, mymaths etc. Since you are scraping a 4, you may need to watch lots of videos first, so that you can understand the method/s used to answer a particular topic question. Then, attempt easier questions on your own and mark them. If you get it wrong, rewatch a video and look at the mark scheme.

Science
Use the website Cognito (it gives you videos, past papers and questions to practice). Also, use the youtube channel Dr de Bruin's Classroom, she helped me jump 4 grades.

Remember, you could pass well enough -- or you could try to excel in your subjects. Good luck!
for maths, I found the Corbett maths 5-a-day worksheets useful!! there's one every day for foundation, higher and higher+ tiers
Also there's a website called 1st class maths. You can search it up on google or on youtube. It literally has a practice paper of all the topics in gcse maths both for foundation and higher and loads of other videos and downloadable practice worksheets for each topic. You should definitely check it out.😊😊
Reply 4
I only have two months left before gcse i haven't started revising yet. all my grades are between 4-6 What should I do? Is there any chance of me getting good grade Stil? Or should I just give up?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
You can give up if you want to-- but remember that your GCSEs impact your A levels, which impact which university you go to (take it from a current year 13 student lol).
You don't want to be the only person unhappy on results day, realising that you could've tried but didn't bother.

So, here are things you might want to do:

Two months is a tight amount of time, but you can definitely achieve higher grades if you start focusing TODAY.
Step 1: Become more structured: use a timetable and allocate short bursts of revision in each subject (plz try to follow this it makes life so much easier)
Step 2: Firstly identify the topics you are the worst at in each subject using RAG sheets (you can likely find these sheets online --> or ask your teacher)
Step 3: What has been your most effective method of revision? If you haven't yet identified this, you must do so now, or you will procrastinate on your work
Step 4: Use this method of revision, and after being secure on the knowledge, do past paper questions. For essay subjects, just do essay plans. Whilst you do these short answer questions/ essay plans, if you realise you don't remember something that would help you understand the question, revisit the topic through your class notes, youtube videos, your teacher etc.
Original post by ajde_2
You can give up if you want to-- but remember that your GCSEs impact your A levels, which impact which university you go to (take it from a current year 13 student lol).
You don't want to be the only person unhappy on results day, realising that you could've tried but didn't bother.

So, here are things you might want to do:

Two months is a tight amount of time, but you can definitely achieve higher grades if you start focusing TODAY.
Step 1: Become more structured: use a timetable and allocate short bursts of revision in each subject (plz try to follow this it makes life so much easier)
Step 2: Firstly identify the topics you are the worst at in each subject using RAG sheets (you can likely find these sheets online --> or ask your teacher)
Step 3: What has been your most effective method of revision? If you haven't yet identified this, you must do so now, or you will procrastinate on your work
Step 4: Use this method of revision, and after being secure on the knowledge, do past paper questions. For essay subjects, just do essay plans. Whilst you do these short answer questions/ essay plans, if you realise you don't remember something that would help you understand the question, revisit the topic through your class notes, youtube videos, your teacher etc.
Thank you so much! Halfway through the mocks atp and maths was pretty bad but I have my second math paper tomorrow and feeling pretty confident
Reply 7
Thank you so much! Halfway through the mocks atp and maths was pretty bad but I have my second math paper tomorrow and feeling pretty confident
Glad to hear that it helped! I wish you good luck!!
Hi 🙂 I've noticed that by the time I write this, you would've probably finished the mocks. But now that I'm doing maths for A-levels I might as well chip in some of the less time-consuming revision techniques I've learned in college for future reference...right now a lot of the revision we're taught to do is to do little every day or every few days to get it well engrained into your head rather than cramming. I'd sort of done this during GCSEs but I was a massive procrastinator and understand the feeling of cramming and lack of motivation (though I did get 7-9 grades). For maths A-level at least we use techniques of flashcards focused on where specifically you've personally gone wrong in questions especially if they're repeated mistakes (and to keep going over them and write dates on when to test yourself, this can mean splitting them up into ones you're most confident with and least confident with, you could also write specific exam questions you've struggled with to retry) this you could do on the bus or for like 10 mins a day...We also use interleaving and timed exam questions (this gets you used to the time restraints of exams to make sure you don't lose marks because of poor time management, interleaving prepares you for getting bombarded with random topics but without necessarily needing you to do full past exams or whatever) interleaving could just be focusing on a past topic then after a while returning to what you were looking at before, it helps rewire your brain and make you think actively rather than passively working (like if you do the same type of question for ages in a row you'll obviously be good at the time but will soon forget)...also for maths, focus on algebra as it spread through EVERYTHING, I lose points all the time for algebra slips...could be good if you're not feeling motivated to revise tons and tons but helps A LOT.
A lot of these are focused on constantly taking away focus and then after a long time refocusing your brain on a given topic over and over again to get more confident.
sorry if this is too long or irrelevant, I'm very sleep-deprived,
GOOD LUCK!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Lydia_Mal...
Hi 🙂 I've noticed that by the time I write this, you would've probably finished the mocks. But now that I'm doing maths for A-levels I might as well chip in some of the less time-consuming revision techniques I've learned in college for future reference...right now a lot of the revision we're taught to do is to do little every day or every few days to get it well engrained into your head rather than cramming. I'd sort of done this during GCSEs but I was a massive procrastinator and understand the feeling of cramming and lack of motivation (though I did get 7-9 grades). For maths A-level at least we use techniques of flashcards focused on where specifically you've personally gone wrong in questions especially if they're repeated mistakes (and to keep going over them and write dates on when to test yourself, this can mean splitting them up into ones you're most confident with and least confident with, you could also write specific exam questions you've struggled with to retry) this you could do on the bus or for like 10 mins a day...We also use interleaving and timed exam questions (this gets you used to the time restraints of exams to make sure you don't lose marks because of poor time management, interleaving prepares you for getting bombarded with random topics but without necessarily needing you to do full past exams or whatever) interleaving could just be focusing on a past topic then after a while returning to what you were looking at before, it helps rewire your brain and make you think actively rather than passively working (like if you do the same type of question for ages in a row you'll obviously be good at the time but will soon forget)...also for maths, focus on algebra as it spread through EVERYTHING, I lose points all the time for algebra slips...could be good if you're not feeling motivated to revise tons and tons but helps A LOT.
A lot of these are focused on constantly taking away focus and then after a long time refocusing your brain on a given topic over and over again to get more confident.
sorry if this is too long or irrelevant, I'm very sleep-deprived,
GOOD LUCK!
Thank youuuu!!!! I have my last maths paper tomorrow but think this is great advice to go forward good luck on a level maths! I can barely get through GCSEs 😂 but I think English has always been my strong point in that's sense. I'm definetly going to take on your advice going on for the real things tho so thank you 😄

Quick Reply

Latest