The Student Room Group

Going into Y11 Advice

I am starting Y11 soon and want to begin revising from the get-go. I am wondering how much I should revise after school and any other tips for the year ahead?
In the beginning of the year, you dont need to be doing hours a day, but gradually build it up throughout the year, so that when exam season is close youre doing more
Original post by Squiggles1238
In the beginning of the year, you dont need to be doing hours a day, but gradually build it up throughout the year, so that when exam season is close youre doing more

When do you suggest I start doing hours?
Well no more than an hour a day for the first term and perhaps 2nd too is fine, and then obviously you want to increase that when your mocks begin to maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours? Just ensure you dont burnout and you take lots of breaks
Reply 4
Original post by Ahmed Bashir
I am starting Y11 soon and want to begin revising from the get-go. I am wondering how much I should revise after school and any other tips for the year ahead?

I just finished year 11, and i would recommend revising as much as possible from september if you want to do well. Remember to do active recall revision methods (eg flash cards and past papers) as i wasted a lot of time on notes :smile:
I did 1-1.5 hours of revision daily and picked up a few 7's. Tip - Take your mocks seriously, the virus is probably going to get worse again so prepare in that sense for the unexpected.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by myhairispeng
I did 1-1.5 hours of revision daily and picked up a few 7's. Tip - Take your mocks seriously, the virus is probably going to get worse again so prepare in that sense for the unexpected.

I second this. As someone who had their mocks used as evidence for their GCSEs, it can make all the difference. Obviously we weren’t to know at the time, but i think if i’d had tried harder in my mocks i might have come out with better grades
Reply 7
Make a revision timetable & allocate an hour a day for the subjects you’re doing. Get used to doing practice papers early so do test yourself on these often. If you stick to your revision plan then you’ll find that sitting your mocks & exams will be less nerve racking as you won’t have to cram. Do give yourself breaks so have the weekend to just relax as your well-being also matters!
Reply 8
Original post by Ahmed Bashir

So I'm about to start uni and my advice would be is do the homework which you are set and then spend maybe an half anhour to an hour a day depending on how much you need to write up on notes. But each day when you have completed a new topic or whatever you have leant in your lessons that day write up flashcards, notes or midmaps depending on what works best for you as this way when it comes to exams you dont need to fluster you don't have any note to revice on topics and it also means when you are writing the notes up it is all fresh in you mind. then when it comes to your mocks you can do lots more past papers and exams questions to revices as i found that this was one of the best methods to revicing .But my best tip is to not stress yourself out too much and that it is ok to have days off and try and leave your weekends free if you can however whould recommend when it comes to the exam periods you need to work through these aswell
Reply 9
Personally I would aim to do a minimum of 2.5 hours work a night from September (homework and revision), with 4 hours over the weekend.

When it comes to the month before your mocks, I would increase this to 3 hours a night and 8 hours over the weekend. Try to maintain this amount if you can from January.

By the time you get to the month before your actual exams, you should be really aiming to do as much revision as possible. 4 hours on a school night and 9 hours on weekends/holidays/study leave is a good target.

Good luck!
hi i hust started year 11 and i am scared that i will fail math becuase everyone in my class know what they are doing i am to slow i got u in my mocks i want to get a 6 or a 7 in maths atlease i dont ask the teacher for help(Original post by Ahmed Bashir)I am starting Y11 soon and want to begin revising from the get-go. I am wondering how much I should revise after school and any other tips for the year ahead?
i

Original post by izzyx24
I just finished year 11, and i would recommend revising as much as possible from september if you want to do well. Remember to do active recall revision methods (eg flash cards and past papers) as i wasted a lot of time on notes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest