The Student Room Group

Kallisto's Sunday Question: Siblings

This poll is closed

Do you get along with your siblings?

Yes! 50%
I am an only child! 25%
No!25%
Total votes: 16
The week is almost over and that is the perfect moment to start a second poll on Sunday!

Growing up in a family coins our personality, all the more we have siblings around. And no matter how our relationship to them were in the past and still is: family members can't be forgotten so easily.

Questions:

If you are an only child: have you ever wished to grown up with siblings?
If you have siblings: have you ever wished to be an only child?
Do you have a good or bad relationship to your siblings?
Do you think that living with siblings together promotes responsibility?
Is it better for personal development to grown up with siblings?
Are there people in your circle of friends who have twins?
Reply 2
My brother is my best mate, I cannot imagine a life without him and I am certainly enriched for his being around. We tend to come as a pair despite there being 5 years ish between us. We do a lot together and our other halves have o understand that pretty quickly.

Not sure if it promotes responsibility or whatever. I am inclined to think owning a dog has a larger impact. Tell ye what, though - when it comes to bands, me and him and properly in tune and we never have to second-guess each other. It's weird. We are totally in step, or can be with minimal effort.

I am glad for him and we have been (and indeed can be) a fearsome combination. We are well known round here amd not always for the best reasons.

I have family (actually an unusual amount - 3 sets that I can think of!) who are twins but no twin mates. I do have mates who are close brothers like us. It's very good.
Not an only child

I don't think so. Good to have siblings

Good relationship

Yes, it helps to share the workload.

Apparently it helps with personal development as individuals learn to engage properly with others.

Nope
Original post by Wired_1800
Not an only child

I don't think so. Good to have siblings

Good relationship

Yes, it helps to share the workload.

Apparently it helps with personal development as individuals learn to engage properly with others.

Nope

I wish that I could say the same about my brother. We had a difficult relationship to each other. Do you think that parents have an influence on the relationship between siblings?
Original post by Kallisto
The week is almost over and that is the perfect moment to start a second poll on Sunday!

Growing up in a family coins our personality, all the more we have siblings around. And no matter how our relationship to them were in the past and still is: family members can't be forgotten so easily.

Questions:

I am the only daughter and I have 3 younger brothers (largest age gap is 8 years). I would say i have a good relationship with all of them! As the oldest child, my role automatically comes with a bit more responsibility - as I have had to look after them growing up. I feel like my siblings have definitely helped to form part of my personality, if that makes sense - again, with the responsibility part. And yes, I have friends who are twins and they get along very nicely :biggrin:!
I wish that I could say the same about my brother. We had a difficult relationship to each other. Do you think that parents have an influence on the relationship between siblings?

Sorry to hear about your relationship with your brother. Hopefully things improve for you.

Yes, i think parents can influence the relationship of siblings through elements like favouritism or bias.
When I was a child, yes. I couldn't imagine my life with a sibling now.

N/A

N/A

Perhaps. I'm certainly more responsible than I was as a child, but I think that's just because of age.

I think it depends on the individual.

No.
Original post by Wired_1800
Sorry to hear about your relationship with your brother. Hopefully things improve for you. (...)

I doubt it. My brother is dead for a long time now. I keep the best moments with him in my mind.

Original post by emm4nuella
I am the only daughter and I have 3 younger brothers (largest age gap is 8 years). I would say i have a good relationship with all of them! As the oldest child, my role automatically comes with a bit more responsibility - as I have had to look after them growing up. I feel like my siblings have definitely helped to form part of my personality, if that makes sense - again, with the responsibility part. And yes, I have friends who are twins and they get along very nicely :biggrin:!

As you are the big sister for three little brothers. Were there moments in your common life you felt to protect them?
(edited 2 months ago)
I doubt it. My brother is dead for a long time now. I keep the best moments with him in my mind.

As you are the big sister for three little brothers. Are there moments in your common life you felt to protect them?

I am sorry for your loss.
Reply 10
When I was much younger I did as I was oldest child, so when I had two younger siblings turn up i did occasionally feel quite jealous of not having all the attention. But not at all these days.

Mostly good. Especially close with my brother. My sister tho is quite a handful, 5yrs younger than me, but its getting much better between us.

Yes, along with sharing- but thats hard to learn anyway lol. Although as the eldest, I have had a lot more responsibility than the others, with my sis getting away with far too much.

I think so, deffo has promoted confidence, but I also put that down to my parents.

Yep, two sets in my close family, then I am friends with 5 sets :smile:
No, I've never wanted any siblings.

N/A

N/A

Sometimes it can.
I've known a few siblings that are completely irresponsible and either encourage all their close relatives to behave in the same way or always try to dump their responsibilities onto one of their siblings.

I don't think so.

Yes.
Some friends are twins, a few identical.
I work with a woman who has identical twin daughters through ivf that were born 7 years apart.
As you are the big sister for three little brothers. Are there moments in your common life you felt to protect them?

Yes definitely - it has almost been like a natural instinct particularly with the youngest one
(edited 2 months ago)
Never!! My brother is my world to me - no matter what he does, I will always be there to support him.

There were a few times in our lives where he had said some stuff out of rage like 'I wish I never had a sister' or 'I hate you' or something round the lines of 'you'd be a bad mother' - but I understand because we're in a boarding school internationally and I have to look after him (maybe I'm too protective or annoying - who knows?) Yet he's just a young teen so I don't mind him taking his anger out occasionally!

Yes, we should look after one another - we're all we've got.

Living with my brother encouraged me to share and lessen my selfish nature.

Yes! They were born on the same day but not the same gender. Moreover, they are some of the sweetest friends I've ever had!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending