The Student Room Group

University Choice dilemma

Hello,
I currently have two choices and I am not sure which is the better one although I am a little more drawn towards Surrey because of the location. I have an offer from Exeter and Surrey for computer science. Surrey is ranked above exeter as a university in the uni rankings but exeter is ranked above surrey for computer science by like 4-5 places. Both have a placement year however the reason I am more drawn to surrey is it is less maths based and more hands on programming (i dislike maths).
Original post by 5inz27
Hello,
I currently have two choices and I am not sure which is the better one although I am a little more drawn towards Surrey because of the location. I have an offer from Exeter and Surrey for computer science. Surrey is ranked above exeter as a university in the uni rankings but exeter is ranked above surrey for computer science by like 4-5 places. Both have a placement year however the reason I am more drawn to surrey is it is less maths based and more hands on programming (i dislike maths).

Ignore the rankings - they're largely based upon criteria which will be irrelevant to you. Go with the one which you prefer. That sounds like Surrey, for its location and the reduced emphasis on maths.
Reply 2
Original post by 5inz27
Hello,

Go and visit each and try and get a feel for each location. Then choose. Please do not choose based on perceived prestige. Employers only care what you can do and what you know. They don't care about the university you studied at.

Good luck!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Ignore the rankings - they're largely based upon criteria which will be irrelevant to you. Go with the one which you prefer. That sounds like Surrey, for its location and the reduced emphasis on maths.

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Reply 4
Original post by hotpud
Go and visit each and try and get a feel for each location. Then choose. Please do not choose based on perceived prestige. Employers only care what you can do and what you know. They don't care about the university you studied at.

Good luck!

thank you very much! i was just scared of russel group privilege but surrey is well respected
Reply 5
Original post by 5inz27
thank you very much! i was just scared of russel group privilege but surrey is well respected

Forget Russel Group privilege. It is made up by Russel Group marketing departments. But if a Russel Group university offers a course you think would be beneficial to you, then go for it. But do it for the right reasons.
Original post by 5inz27
Hello,

Hi.
These ranking are based on things irrelevant to what you will experience at the university, the main factor is the curriculum and the atmosphere. Chose the one you like. This will help you to study Better get better scores and finish your degree with confidence
Original post by 5inz27
Hello,
Hi there!

Like other users have mentioned, I also recommend visiting each uni and getting a feel for each one.

Guildford is a lovely town to live and study in, and Surrey's campus offers everything we as students need. It has great library, club, is close to the town centre, and a short walking distance from the train station, where you can get a 30-min train to central London.

I have really enjoyed my time here and I'm sure you would too 🙂

If you have other questions, do let me know.

I hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Reply 8
Go where you want to go - that's the most important thing. The thing with rankings is that near the top, there is very little difference between the universities so the difference between 4 and 5 places is not really felt. The important thing is to go where you think you would enjoy spending 3 or 4 years for your undergrad degree. If you feel certain courses play to your strengths and you like it more, then go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending