The Student Room Group

Misanthropy

I think I'm coming to terms with misanthropy. People today are generally vile worms who perpetuate the same ignorant and self-centered behaviours over and over again. We allow ourselves to be consumed with stuff that doesn't help us develop, but further sinks us into the abyss of mediocrity. When I was a kid, there was greater autonomy in how we expressed ourselves, but in the past 10-15 years we've decided that instead of keeping our uniqueness, we've gotta watch our tongues and bend to the desires of others if we want to be accepted. We see that modern UK politics is absolute trash, but we vote for even more trash to be poured over us because we perpetually continue to vote hoping things will change for the better, but they never truly do.

Perhaps misanthropy is an inaccurate term for what I'm feeling, because I'm very sure that there are parts of the world that contain colonies of people who represent exactly how we should be living our lives. Tribalism may not be ideal for us who've grown up with capitalism and all its dreck, but such ways of living make things super simple, especially for our minds. When all we need to do is focus on survival, everything is easy. There are no phones to worry about, no text messages, no films, no music, no money worries, no job concerns, no worrying about whether somebody else likes you or not, no girlfriends, no marriages, no combustible relationships and no legal proceedings or laws-just a simple straightforward game of survival.
Reply 1
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I think I'm coming to terms with misanthropy. People today are generally vile worms who perpetuate the same ignorant and self-centered behaviours over and over again. We allow ourselves to be consumed with stuff that doesn't help us develop, but further sinks us into the abyss of mediocrity. When I was a kid, there was greater autonomy in how we expressed ourselves, but in the past 10-15 years we've decided that instead of keeping our uniqueness, we've gotta watch our tongues and bend to the desires of others if we want to be accepted. We see that modern UK politics is absolute trash, but we vote for even more trash to be poured over us because we perpetually continue to vote hoping things will change for the better, but they never truly do.

Perhaps misanthropy is an inaccurate term for what I'm feeling, because I'm very sure that there are parts of the world that contain colonies of people who represent exactly how we should be living our lives. Tribalism may not be ideal for us who've grown up with capitalism and all its dreck, but such ways of living make things super simple, especially for our minds. When all we need to do is focus on survival, everything is easy. There are no phones to worry about, no text messages, no films, no music, no money worries, no job concerns, no worrying about whether somebody else likes you or not, no girlfriends, no marriages, no combustible relationships and no legal proceedings or laws-just a simple straightforward game of survival.
I think your observations are correct but you have cited the wrong thing. As an outsider as a kid in the 80s / 90s, I was highly critical of the sheep-like nature of popular culture. Nothing new there. However, on the plus side, it is now really easy to find your tribe. I am not really sure where I would have belonged as a kid but had I had the internet then I am sure I would have found my tribe and taken comfort from being included.

On the negative side, the internet now shows us the world in every gory and vulgar detail where as before we were just plain ignorant and our view of the world just about extended to the end of the road. We also have this bizarre system where pretty much everyone can broadcast themselves and impose their opinions on you without consent. Ups and downs. If you don't like it the best I can offer is throw it away and stick to printed newspapers and the 6 o'clock news.
You alright? Sincerely doubt the solution to society's ills is running back into the wilderness to roleplay as a cavemen.

...have you been reading Catcher in the Rye?
Original post by NameUserer
You alright? Sincerely doubt the solution to society's ills is running back into the wilderness to roleplay as a cavemen.

...have you been reading Catcher in the Rye?
I think focusing on ourselves and our survival takes a lot of unnecessary weight off us. I don't think we'd be role-playing we'd actually be cave people-if we were playing we'd go back to our usual modern routines. I know the idea is realistic or even good for most of us who are consumed by this culture-but it's an idea.
How would anyone's mental health improve by being at a constant risk of death? 'Focusing on our own survival' sounds nice until you're stuck in the middle of the woods with a broken leg and gangrene.

On a more serious note, I understand where you're coming from. Our society's gotten so artificial that it feels like a simulacrum of a simulacrum. We're drip-fed advertising every moment of our waking lives. Machines make art while humans work at McDonalds. The fate of our planet rests in the hands of elderly fossil fuel billionaires, who'll gladly let it burn if it makes them a few extra cents. Gen Z has grown up knowing that the world could end within our lifetime. I've no idea what kind of toll that takes, because I've never known anything else.

Doesn't make 'caveman mode' the solution.

During peacetime, you'll get guys who say they wish they had a war to fight. They'll wax lyrical about camaraderie, heroism and proving their masculinity - war's only an aesthetic element to their fantasy. They don't actually want to sit in a trench, crawling with lice, gunning down some poor conscripted kids who've no clue what they're even fighting for. I think it's the same with your caveman idea. I mean, you're asking this on TSR. You don't actually want to be a caveman, you're just sick and tired of the state of the UK and can't think of an immediate solution.
Original post by NameUserer
How would anyone's mental health improve by being at a constant risk of death? 'Focusing on our own survival' sounds nice until you're stuck in the middle of the woods with a broken leg and gangrene.

On a more serious note, I understand where you're coming from. Our society's gotten so artificial that it feels like a simulacrum of a simulacrum. We're drip-fed advertising every moment of our waking lives. Machines make art while humans work at McDonalds. The fate of our planet rests in the hands of elderly fossil fuel billionaires, who'll gladly let it burn if it makes them a few extra cents. Gen Z has grown up knowing that the world could end within our lifetime. I've no idea what kind of toll that takes, because I've never known anything else.

Doesn't make 'caveman mode' the solution.

During peacetime, you'll get guys who say they wish they had a war to fight. They'll wax lyrical about camaraderie, heroism and proving their masculinity - war's only an aesthetic element to their fantasy. They don't actually want to sit in a trench, crawling with lice, gunning down some poor conscripted kids who've no clue what they're even fighting for. I think it's the same with your caveman idea. I mean, you're asking this on TSR. You don't actually want to be a caveman, you're just sick and tired of the state of the UK and can't think of an immediate solution.
If you were born to fend for yourself then the fear of succumbing to injury is just a fate that anybody could happen upon. In this modern society there are always avoidable accidents and situations that cause significant injury and beyond. I'm not saying it'd be nice at all, I'm saying it is far easier for our mentality if we focus on surviving than doing everything in a technologically-advanced society that demands a lot from the people within it. I think it'd be fantastic if we didn't have to force ourselves up for work in the morning tired, deal with irritable people, put up with a legal system that drags out the anguish of victims for months and years, putting up with harassment of people from outside our families and friendship groups, and not needing to worry about being fired or losing anything that you own until the inevitable comes along. Oh and money wouldn't be a commodity either, so we could worry about hunting for food, water and shelter, as well as protecting those in our tribe from hostiles. Seems all straightforward to me, no fluff or expectations to be this and that from people you don't even know.

All of this mess could be avoided if governments and suchlike weren't a thing. When you have a group of people deciding what's best for a country, many people won't like it-and if people feel inclined then anarchy and bedlam will reign.

Caveman mode isn't a solution, but harkening back to a time where we only concerned ourselves with survival seems conducive to how we're wired.

True, the idea of being a caveman is most-likely better in my head than in reality, but that's probably because we have to get used to living a new way. If you're flung into a new situation and environment it'll be really tough for many people. I didn't like the first day of a new school for instance, I was always insecure and I'd get upset, but with time and acclimation to a new environment I eventually gelled with it, and so I think we can all eventually gel with the caveman idea.

I'm not really sick and tired of the state of the UK as much as I'm witnessing all the stress and anguish and thinking to myself this way of living just isn't compatible with humanity and survival. Our pets don't need to worry about religion, social media, going to work or dealing with a custody battle-that's all human-made detritus. And yes this is heavy for a TSR post, but I don't really know of any forums I could contribute to that aren't Reddit or Quora that would accept these kinds of posts.
Reply 6
Viewing others around you as vile worms who perpetuate the same ignorant and self-centred behaviours isn’t particularly profound.

It just means you need to get yourself some new friends, get laid or get therapy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending