The Student Room Group
Sounds like a non-issue so far really, the police already felt there was no case to answer and are reviewing the matter because a Tory rival pressured them to.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
Sounds like a non-issue so far really, the police already felt there was no case to answer and are reviewing the matter because a Tory rival pressured them to.

I’d say it just turned into an issue. This always seemed like fairly serious stuff to me, even more than Beergate. We could possibly be talking about violations of the tax code and electoral law. But, of course, as with any suspect in a criminal investigation, she is to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Original post by Tolgash
I’d say it just turned into an issue. This always seemed like fairly serious stuff to me, even more than Beergate. We could possibly be talking about violations of the tax code and electoral law. But, of course, as with any suspect in a criminal investigation, she is to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Oh possibly sure, but I can't ignore that it's all seemingly coming from one rival MP with an obvious axe to grind and a motive to divert attention.

Not to say such financial matters arent worth investigating, but I don't think they compare to sexual scandals and endangering your colleagues like Rishi the flimsy is claiming
Reply 4
Oh possibly sure, but I can't ignore that it's all seemingly coming from one rival MP with an obvious axe to grind and a motive to divert attention.
Not to say such financial matters arent worth investigating, but I don't think they compare to sexual scandals and endangering your colleagues like Rishi the flimsy is claiming

Whilst you are right that it is difficult to ignore the political undertones of this investigation, I think we can both agree that this has become an issue for Rayner, no? That doesn’t mean it’s a huge or detrimental issue, but I cannot see this as a ‘non-issue’ or ‘nothing-burger’ anymore. It would have been had the police declared they made the right call in not investigating this situation, but they have reversed that decision.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by Tolgash
Whilst you are right that it is difficult to ignore the political undertones of this investigation, I think we can both agree that this has become an issue for Rayner, no? That doesn’t mean it’s a huge or detrimental issue, but I cannot see this as a ‘non-issue’ or ‘nothing-burger’ anymore. It would have been had the police declared they made the right call in not investigating this situation, but they have reversed that decision.

Yes and No, it's certainly a political issue for her in general, but I feel the people trying to say how big of an eye catching deal it is are largely the same ones trying to talk it up and exaggerate it as a story. The whole thing has a strong tit for tat Hunter Biden vibe about it.

I think I want to wait and see if the police come back with anything of substance rather than just desperate sounding smears from a desperate government on the way out. Where were Mr Daly's detective skills when Lady Mone and her man ripped taxpayers for scores of millions? I don't remember him haranguing tbe police then.
Reply 6
The whole thing has a strong tit for tat Hunter Biden vibe about it.

I’m not sure what you precisely mean by this. With respect to Hunter Biden, I simply think it’s the DoJ and special counsel doing their jobs.

I think I want to wait and see if the police come back with anything of substance....

This is fair. I agree.

Where were Mr Daly's detective skills when Lady Mone and her man ripped taxpayers for scores of millions? I don't remember him haranguing tbe police then.

To be fair, I think it was journalists at Daily Mail who were the sleuths that first brought this whole affair to light. I think the only thing Daly did was believe that, by choosing not to look further into the matter at all, GMP made the incorrect decision, which turns out to have been a legitimate concern, since they have reversed that decision.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Politicians lie and I would not be surprised to hear of a possible resignation at some point.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Rayner has now said she’ll step down if she has committed a criminal act.

It is rather hypocritical for the Conservatives to focus on Rayner when they are utterly shameless when it comes to their own corruption.
Original post by Gazpacho.
Rayner has now said she’ll step down if she has committed a criminal act.

It is rather hypocritical for the Conservatives to focus on Rayner when they are utterly shameless when it comes to their own corruption.

https://news.sky.com/story/angela-rayner-says-she-will-step-down-if-she-is-found-to-have-committed-a-crime-13113680

I respect her for this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending