The Student Room Group

2 in 5 teachers work 26 hours for free each week

A TUC survey finds teaching staff perform the most unpaid overtime of any profession, losing out on £15,000 a year each; 2 in 5 teachers are working 26 hours unpaid overtime on a weekly basis

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/feb/23/daylight-robbery-two-in-five-uk-teachers-work-26-hours-for-free-each-week

If you're at school, do you see teachers who do this?
How do you feel about it?
Probably why I meet so many ex-teachers working in non-teaching roles in HE.
Reply 2
This is well known which is why so few competent graduates will touch the profession.

Many professional careers require a degree of overtime but we generally get remunerated for it through higher salaries and bonuses.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Ha, this is why I got out as soon as I got in!
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
A TUC survey finds teaching staff perform the most unpaid overtime of any profession, losing out on £15,000 a year each; 2 in 5 teachers are working 26 hours unpaid overtime on a weekly basis

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/feb/23/daylight-robbery-two-in-five-uk-teachers-work-26-hours-for-free-each-week

Pretty daft innit. They should just go home.
Original post by Quady
Pretty daft innit. They should just go home.

Many of the hours included are spent at home, working.
Original post by 04MR17

I'm sure they're broadly correct. But would you expect the Trade Union Council to come to a conclusion other than one which supports its members (i.e. teachers)?
Original post by BenRyan99
I'm sure they're broadly correct. But would you expect the Trade Union Council to come to a conclusion other than one which supports its members (i.e. teachers)?

The Department of Education conducts it's own annual workload analysis. The results don't deviate from the TUC report.

In fact, at a quick glance, the TUC seem to have used ONS data than their own.
Original post by Gazpacho.
The Department of Education conducts it's own annual workload analysis. The results don't deviate from the TUC report.

In fact, at a quick glance, the TUC seem to have used ONS data than their own.
Hence why I said I'm sure it's broadly correct.

My point was more about how much one can trust the research from overtly political organizations who have big conflicts of interest, when forming views on certain areas. And it's not just whether x piece of research is correct/incorrect, more that you simply can't rely on certain organisation for balanced views, which makes them less useful for reading if you're time constrained
Hence why I said I'm sure it's broadly correct.

My point was more about how much one can trust the research from overtly political organizations who have big conflicts of interest, when forming views on certain areas. And it's not just whether x piece of research is correct/incorrect, more that you simply can't rely on certain organisation for balanced views, which makes them less useful for reading if you're time constrained

Point taken in a broad sense.

However, in this case, successive Education Secretaries, Schools Ministers and the DofE don't disagree with the TUC that there is excessive workload within the teaching profession, with the DofE citing workload as a significant factor in recruitment and retention. There is an ongoing Parliamentary inquiry into teacher recruitment/retention which will likely reiterate this point. You'll find identical stances from policy/research groups like the EPI and IOE. This is very much a consensus across the board on this issue. The problem is DofE and school policies to reduce workload have been largely ineffective.
Original post by Gazpacho.
Point taken in a broad sense.

However, in this case, successive Education Secretaries, Schools Ministers and the DofE don't disagree with the TUC that there is excessive workload within the teaching profession, with the DofE citing workload as a significant factor in recruitment and retention. There is an ongoing Parliamentary inquiry into teacher recruitment/retention which will likely reiterate this point. You'll find identical stances from policy/research groups like the EPI and IOE. This is very much a consensus across the board on this issue. The problem is DofE and school policies to reduce workload have been largely ineffective.
I guess my point is more that would you ever expect the TUC to come to a different conclusion, regardless whether they're correct/incorrect on this specific issue? Again, I'm not disagreeing with the conclusions on this specific issue.

And if you can guess the conclusion of an organization's 'rigorous' research before it's published every single time.... makes you question how useful their research is vs less political organizations such as the IoE which you use as an example and I think are pretty good. I just don't really get what research from the TUC really adds beyond that of less partisan organizations (beyond trying to make them seem more credible than they are).
(edited 1 month ago)
I guess my point is more that would you ever expect the TUC to come to a different conclusion, regardless whether they're correct/incorrect on this specific issue? Again, I'm not disagreeing with the conclusions on this specific issue.

And if you can guess the conclusion of an organization's 'rigorous' research before it's published every single time.... makes you question how useful their research is vs less political organizations such as the IoE which you use as an example and I think are pretty good. I just don't really get what research from the TUC really adds beyond that of less partisan organizations (beyond trying to make them seem more credible than they are).
Off topic - what matters is that the data is correct.

What should be done about it?

The point of the article, this thread, any other discussions on this topic is not that the TUC is the one drawing the conclusion.

The figures are from the ONS.

The point of the article, this thread and any other discussions on the topic is plainly that a large number of unpaid hours are being worked by teachers. This is common knowledge, though perhaps the scale of this issue is not fully known. Let me ask you: did the numbers surprise you?
Original post by 04MR17
The point of the article, this thread, any other discussions on this topic is not that the TUC is the one drawing the conclusion.

The figures are from the ONS.

The point of the article, this thread and any other discussions on the topic is plainly that a large number of unpaid hours are being worked by teachers. This is common knowledge, though perhaps the scale of this issue is not fully known. Let me ask you: did the numbers surprise you?
I don't disagree, but I also don't think the organisation which draws the conclusions is exogenous to whether the appropriate policies are put into to place to fix certain issues. For example, there are certain think tanks id expect labour to never listen to, and the same is true for the tories (like in this case the TUC). It's the unfortunate reality, though that's not a reason to prevent the TUC from publishing something like this of course. I guess I wish important stuff like this came more from sources that can impact change from the current government, rather than ones which are very unlikely to be listened to like the TUC.

As to whether the numbers surprised me, not particularly, I think it's generally well known that teaching can require extra hours to keep up with all the lesson planning and marking. Equally, everyone I work with probably does at least 5-8hrs of overtime per weekday alone, when compared with what's actually strictly in our contracts. The difference is, we work in a competitive field so we're appropriately compensated for the extra hours (though I appreciate my field isn't representative of the average workers so I don't draw too many conclusions from that).

If you don't work in a very competitive field (i.e. teaching), you really need an effective and strong union to counter these forces (especially in the public sector), which evidently isn't the case currently as shown by the findings. I'm certainly not blaming teachers at all.
(edited 1 month ago)
One of the reasons (not the original reason though) why I no longer want to be a teacher (a part of me wanted to make teach in a primary school but I refuse to do a job where I need to do more work when I come home).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending