The Student Room Group

A-level timetable

What is the a usual timetable for an AS level student taking 5 subjects or 4 subjects or 3 three subjects? Do you have classes not connected to AS level subjects that are not free periods ie study periods?

What is the usual timetable for A-level (ie A2) students taking 4 subjects or 3 subjects? Do you have classes not connected A-level subjects that are not free periods ie study periods?

Scroll to see replies

Well i do 4AS subjects and i have 4 lessons of those a week (one lesson is 1hour and 10minutes long) and i also have tutor once a week for an hour, i don't do any other extra subject that you are forced to do or anything but if you don't do ict at my college (i do take ict) then you have to do trak once a week thats pretty much it :biggrin: and our free periods are called free periods and not study periods plus i normally use them to go town or sleep in or something, some i study in if i choose to :biggrin:
For 5 AS Levels my Timetable consisted of 5 subjects a day. One of each, so no different to lower school. For 4, you'd have 4 lessons, and 1 study period, etc.

At A2, it's the same, except I only do 4 A Levels, so I have 1 study period a day, except on a Monday when I have EPQ :smile:
I do 4 AS Levels:
4x Maths + 2x Statistics
4x French
2x Spanish
4x Physics
1x 'Enrichment Period' not related to my AS subjects.
I have 13 free/study periods excluding lunchtimes
Reply 4
At AS I did 4 AS levels.
I have 1 1.5 hour lesson of each subject per week
3 1 hour lessons of each subject per week.
1 tutorial period lasting 1 hour
1 day off college
4.5 hours of free periods per week (excluding breaks and lunch)

Now at A2 I have the same except I do 3 subjects and have around 9 hours of free periods again excluding dinner.

My college gives us one day off a week so we don't have hours and hours of free periods.
Reply 5
I do 4 AS levels and I have about 8 study periods a week, one however is taken up by PE(For no reason at all) and two I can go home in but the rest I have to study in. Thursday last period is the only good one because the supervisors don't go absolutely nuts when we talk. As you can see my school love to make school exciting :colonhash: Although I guess it'll pay off in the end
It depends on your school/college and how many periods they have a day

My sixth form have five periods a day and when I did four subjects, I had one free period a day but I dropped one subject and now do three (for AS) so I have two free periods a day :smile:
Reply 7
I do 4 AS levels.
There are 5 periods in my school day so 25 periods a week.
I do 5 periods of each AS level, so 20 periods a week.
We also have 1 period for spending with a mentor, 1 period for General Studies and 1 period for Work experience which adds up to 23 periods in class and leaves me with 2 study periods per week. :smile:
At my school the maximum number of AS levels you can take (excluding general studies) is 4 because that's all the timetable allows :tongue:
Each subject gets 5 50-minute lessons, but if it's period 5 it includes registration so I think those lessons are 65 minutes long. Last 2 lessons on Wednesday are Enrichment, although I do my Enrichment Monday 6 and Wednesday 5. 1st lesson on Fridays are sort of citizenship lessons. As there are 6 periods per day, there are 30 per week. So 30-(5s+3) where s is the number of subjects gives the number of frees - in my case, 12 frees per week.
I have 4 AS Levels:
Monday:
09:00-10:30- English literature
10:45-12:15- Chemistry
13:15-14:45- Free Period
15:00-16:30- Biology
Often, we have an Oxbridge academy, with lectures from 16:30 to 18:00

Tuesday:
09:00-10:30- chemistry
10:45-12:15- free period
I have debating Society during lunch
13:15-14:45- free period
15:00-16:30- maths
(such a frustrating day...)

Wednesday
09:00-10:30- biology
10:45-12:15- English literature
Half day, but I have medicine society during lunch and sign language for two hours after

Thursday
09:00-10:30- free period
10:45-12:15- biology
Science club during lunch
13:15-14:45- maths
15:00-16:30- English literature
Competative debating from 16:30-17:30

Friday
09:00-10:30- maths
10:45-12:15- free period (I go to Age UK for this and lunch)
13:15-14:45- chemistry
15:00-16:30- free period

Ita frustrating, but I like it :smile: were also in a 10 story bulding LOL
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by us3481jd
What is the a usual timetable for an AS level student taking 5 subjects or 4 subjects or 3 three subjects? Do you have classes not connected to AS level subjects that are not free periods ie study periods?

What is the usual timetable for A-level (ie A2) students taking 4 subjects or 3 subjects? Do you have classes not connected A-level subjects that are not free periods ie study periods?

I'm taking 5 AS levels at the moment and I have four of them each day and one free period when I usually go to the library or computer suite to do some work. Because three of my subjects are modern foreign languages, I also have speaking practice for each of them once a week. We don't have any non-connected classes, other than enrichments which for me are Latin club and German film club which are both at lunchtimes anyway.
Original post by Etoile
I'm taking 5 AS levels at the moment and I have four of them each day and one free period when I usually go to the library or computer suite to do some work. Because three of my subjects are modern foreign languages, I also have speaking practice for each of them once a week. We don't have any non-connected classes, other than enrichments which for me are Latin club and German film club which are both at lunchtimes anyway.

I love your sig. :smile: I wish I had the confidence with languages. I want to be a doctor, but in the future would love to take a language degree for the enjoyment. I did GCSE French, but A Level just makes me shudder the the moment.

I would love to do French, German, Russian and Mandarin A Levels. All at once <3
:eek: some of your timetables sound awful! I do 3 A Levels and I have three lessons of 1 hour 45 mins a week for each subject. On wednesday and friday I only have one lesson, the rest of the time I'm in bed :smile: I'm not forced to study during free periods either. Most of the time I sit in the cafe eating :tongue:
I'm doing 4 AS-Levels + 2 enrichments. (Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Electronics).

In a week;

10 Maths lessons (55 minutes each).
5 Physics lessons (55 minutes each).
5 Electronics lessons (55 minutes each).
Maths Club (50 minutes).
Elite-Physics Club (50 minutes).
Mentor session (I help others who struggle every Wednesday morning for 30-50 minutes).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
The lessons in my college are 2 hours or 2.5 hours long.
Last year (AS) I had one 2 hour lesson and one 2.5 hour lesson per week for each of my four subjects. This year it’s the same but I’m only doing three.

The days start at 8:45am and finish at 4:30pm, but how long you’re actually in for depends on when you have lessons.
This year I only have lessons on Tuesday and Friday (but they’re both full days), then I have a 45 minute tutorial on Wednesday. I also have something called an academic tutorial for each subject every three weeks (which is like an extra lesson with subject teachers) but it’s up to the teacher who needs to attend so I don’t have to go to every one (I've only actually been to one so far this year). We don’t have free periods or study periods as such (not timetabled ones anyway)
Reply 15
100 Minute lessons :smile:

# ........................ 1 ........................ 2 ........................ 3 ........................
Monday ........................ Politics ........................ History ........................ Biology
Tuesday ........................ Chemistry ........................ Politics ........................ Biollogy
Wednesday ........................ Free ........................ Biology ........................ Poilitcs
Thursday ........................ History ........................ Free ........................ Chemistry
Friday ........................ Chemistry ........................ History ........................ Free

Now (A2)
# .......................... ........................ 1 .................. 2 ......................... 3.....................................
Monday ........................ Free ........................ Politics ........................ Chemistry
Tuesday ........................ Politics ........................ Biology ........................ Chemistry
Wednesday ........................ Free ........................ Biology ........................ Politics
Thursday ........................ Free ........................ Free ........................ Chemistry
Friday ........................ Free ........................ Biology ........................ Free
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by AspiringGenius
I love your sig. :smile: I wish I had the confidence with languages. I want to be a doctor, but in the future would love to take a language degree for the enjoyment. I did GCSE French, but A Level just makes me shudder the the moment.

I would love to do French, German, Russian and Mandarin A Levels. All at once <3

Thanks!
I wish I had your grades :tongue:
Languages are just :love: The A-level's not so bad at the moment, they build you up gradually :tongue:
I wanted to do Russian instead of Italian but it clashed with German :cry2:
You could join Doctors Without Borders! :awesome:
My timetables pretty ok :tongue: But I'm in every day except wednesday's until four! which Isn't too great.. :frown:
This is my timetable.. it's very colourful :redface:
Reply 18
At AS, I did 5 subjects. Each lesson is 100 minutes (this is disgusting), and I had two free periods one week, and three on another, but usually spent these doing work. I had 5 lessons of each subject in a fortnight, so one week I'd have 2 lessons, the next I'd have three. If you did one less subject you'd just have a free instead of a lesson :smile:
Original post by marcella
Each lesson is 100 minutes

Each of my lessons is 50 minutes, but we mostly have double lessons which are 1hr 40 minutes long :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest