The Student Room Group

Will I get into Medicine?

I am currently in year 11 and freaking out cause I really want to get into medicine but idk if I will. My GCSE predicted grades are pretty good, pretty much all 8s and 9s and I think I'll get them. I'm going to do Math Bio and Chem for A level. In terms of extra curriculars I have :
-St John ambulance cadets
- 2 work experiences lined up for November holidays and summer holidays
- previously part of robotics team - went to regionals + won judges award
- Olympiads
-Working towards LAMDA Grade 8 Public Speaking (currently have grade 6,will do the exam for grade 8 in April)
- planning on volunteering telephonically at care home - involves taking to a resident via phone once a week
- planning on volunteering at a hospital once a week
Is this enough? What other extra curriculars do you thing I could do? Also I could do Hindi A level - its a language I speak at home ...is it worth me doing it as a 4th?
Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Studentanomaly
I am currently in year 11 and freaking out cause I really want to get into medicine but idk if I will. My GCSE predicted grades are pretty good, pretty much all 8s and 9s and I think I'll get them. I'm going to do Math Bio and Chem for A level. In terms of extra curriculars I have :
- Olympiads
-Working towards LAMDA Grade 8 Public Speaking (currently have grade 6,will do the exam for grade 8 in April)
- planning on volunteering telephonically at care home - involves taking to a resident via phone once a week
Is this enough? What other extra curriculars do you thing I could do? Also I could do Hindi A level - its a language I speak at home ...is it worth me doing it as a 4th?
Thank you!

I think you done enough!!! Don’t stress out, take it slow and make sure you don’t burn out. I’m currently studying B.Sc biomed sci and really want to get into medicine as well after grad. Wish we both make it through though🥺
Original post by icebear287
- Olympiads
Thank you!

I think you done enough!!! Don’t stress out, take it slow and make sure you don’t burn out. I’m currently studying B.Sc biomed sci and really want to get into medicine as well after grad. Wish we both make it through though🥺

Thank you!! Good luck! I’m sure u’ll get in!
- Olympiads
Thank you!

This is great stuff but I just want you to keep in mind that it's important that you get something useful out of these experiences. If you're just doing them to tick boxes, without actually learning or reflecting on your experiences, then it's absolutely useless. And that's a lot of stuff, so be careful to not burn yourself out!

I personally wouldn't reccomend doing a 4th A level that is a language that you already speak at home. I did this (with another language). I obviously got an A* without much struggle for the most part, but it's worth noting that you do have to do a research project and presentation, plus be able to write essays about a book and a movie for language A level. These things won't be too challenging for you but they still take a chunk of your time which might be better spent revising for your other A levels. And, having done this, I think that this is really just a cheap trick that the universities see right through and doesn't provide you with any advantage whatsoever.
Reply 4
You’re definitely doing more than enough at the moment, I did not even half that and got an offer for med,
The amount of experience isn’t as important as the ability to reflect on what you’ve done and relate it to medicine

Regarding doing the 4th A-Level, I personally wouldn’t, sure you can get an A* but as someone who does Spanish A-Level it’s still more work to fit into your timetable, writing and presenting your IRP, writing essays, etc it’s more work than just being able to speak and write the language if u get me?
It may affect the amount of time you can spend on your other alevels and could affect those grades, for med I don’t recommend doing more than 3 alevels to anyone tbh, coming from someone who does 4 and regrets it lol, I would realllyyy recommend just focusing on 3 and getting the highest grades possible
Reply 5
- Olympiads
Thank you!
first of all you've done a lotttt more than other applicants. i wanna highlight, you doing all these work experience and volunteering is good only for the interview stage of your application (even then it's more about your reflection and the impact of volunteering on you rather than how much you've done) but they don't really mean anything past that. so it's important that you get your interviews and that all pretty much depends on if you get a high ucat. 2 months prep max is perfect for the ucat imo (might start to burnout after that) so relax, focus on your a levels, get your predicted, when the time comes smash your ucat and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending