The Student Room Group

mock results

Hi I’ve just got my mock results back (from January) n I’m not very happy w them, can anyone tell me if it’s still possible to get all 8s and 9s (and 7s in English) from now, pls be brutally honest if you think the answer is no. If yes, pls tell me how I can improve in any of the subjects

Maths - 7
Bio - 9
Physics - 8
Chemistry 7
Business - 7
German - 9
RS - 7
DT - 7
Business - 7
English lit. - 6
English lang - 6
Hi - I got all 9s for my gcses and I got predicted similar grades to yours year 10 (slightly different but moral is the same) - it’s always possible to push up one or two grades before the real exams (in fact most people do because of the amount of time you have for dedicated revision)

And if you want to get all 8s and 9s you totally can - lots of yours are already up there. However my advice would be to prioritise. It might be ok letting English lit be a 7 or DT (substitute subjects you won’t need for your career etc) if it means letting maths and business (again sub subjects important to you) be a 9. I completely ignored my art coursework for the whole of y11. It’s possible to push them all up but it’s risky - you might burn out and let all of them slip - but it’s your decision.

Also context dependent- if you worked ridiculously hard for the above scores then just keep up that work and be proud of it - they prove you to be better at school than most people in the world!

As for specific advice: think of what you really want to avoid revising - what would be rlly unpleasant. (Writing back to back English lit essays all day) and force yourself to do that instead of biology.

Anyway best of luck! Hope you both don’t burn out AND get all 8s/9s
Original post by hellode
Hi I’ve just got my mock results back (from January) n I’m not very happy w them, can anyone tell me if it’s still possible to get all 8s and 9s (and 7s in English) from now, pls be brutally honest if you think the answer is no. If yes, pls tell me how I can improve in any of the subjects

Maths - 7
Bio - 9
Physics - 8
Chemistry 7
Business - 7
German - 9
RS - 7
DT - 7
Business - 7
English lit. - 6
English lang - 6

It's absolutely possible!! you've done astoundingly in your mocks so far.

for maths, i would recommend past papers and mathsgenie. they help a lot!!
Original post by hellode

Maths - 7
Bio - 9
Physics - 8
Chemistry 7
Business - 7
German - 9
RS - 7
DT - 7
Business - 7
English lit. - 6
English lang - 6
no need to stress! i had similar grades as well and managed to pull 8s and 9s in the real thing, so it's 100% possible! It just comes down to the QUANTITY and QUALITY of your revision - quantity being how much revision you can and feel like getting done (in other words how hard you work) and quality being how you actually revise and what your revision strategies consist of (flashcards, past papers and blank retrieval were the main ones i used).

for science i strongly recommend making flashcards from the freesciencelessons YT channel, that guy is genuinely a lifesaver and i'm still using him for A level sciences lol

for english i recommend the YT channels mr bruff and mr everything english, those two alone were able to carry my lit and lang grades from 5s and 6s to an 8 and 9 respectively!!

i didn't do the same GCSE subjects as you (save for german, i used memrise vocabulary courses for that) but i felt that making quizlet flashcards from CGP books and past paper questions helped me to get 9s in those subjects as well

if you take my advice and revise thoroughly and effectively i have complete faith that you will be able to meet those 8s and 9s in the real exams! just be disciplined with your study and let the desire to achieve all 8s/9s motivate you to keep up the hard work. don't forget to relax and take care of your physical and mental health as well~

wishing you all the best, good luck with your revision! I have faith in you 😎

Quick Reply

Latest