The Student Room Group

predicted grades

So i’m currently in year 12 and undergoing my end of year mock exams in A levels physics, maths, and computer science. Im not feeling the greatest right now in terms of confidence, especially after recent test results in maths and physics. Say for example I did really bad in these mocks (e.g DDD) but really good in year 13 October/November mocks (AAA and above) would my predicted grades change to be similar to my newer mock results or would an average grade be taken between the two set of results?
so it can depend per school and sometimes per subject! of course the ucas deadline is quite early in the year (january usually but earlier (october ish) for oxbridge and medicine etc) so you may not have sat your year 13 mocks before your predicted grades are due. although, do not fear! most teachers know that students can crack under pressure, and i'm sure as long as they know what you are capable of, through note taking, interaction in class, attendance, you'll be okay. i had to persuade my teachers not to base predicted on my year 12 mocks (A*BC) and in the end, they raised my predicted to AAA.

also it's worth remembering that if they don't, and you choose your firm uni through ucas as something low, and then you do gain something higher than they're asking for (so for example, if they predict BBB, the uni wants CCC, and you get AAA or something higher than the uni), i found out the other day that you can apply through clearing for a different uni anyway! you can apply for one with higher entry grades and may find yourself at the one you would've gone to if your teachers had predicted you higher.

hope this helps!
Original post by Y12EC
So i’m currently in year 12 and undergoing my end of year mock exams in A levels physics, maths, and computer science. Im not feeling the greatest right now in terms of confidence, especially after recent test results in maths and physics. Say for example I did really bad in these mocks (e.g DDD) but really good in year 13 October/November mocks (AAA and above) would my predicted grades change to be similar to my newer mock results or would an average grade be taken between the two set of results?

It depends on your school, but they are more likely to base predictions on the best results as it shows what you are capable of.
Original post by Starrytillymae
i found out the other day that you can apply through clearing for a different uni anyway! you can apply for one with higher entry grades and may find yourself at the one you would've gone to if your teachers had predicted you higher.

Not all courses will be in clearing (especially competitive courses) so it won't always be possible to trade up.
Original post by normaw
Not all courses will be in clearing (especially competitive courses) so it won't always be possible to trade up.

oh again i only recently found out about that so thank you for clarity!

Quick Reply

Latest