The Student Room Group

Sixth form

Hi,
I'm currently in year 11 and we had our mocks in November. I did a lot worse than expected as I procrastinated revision SEVERELY. I want to go to this sixth form (it is a grammar school and is in the top ten state schools). The minimum points to enter the school is 57 points across your 8 best predicted gcses, I have exactly 57 points so i can apply however would definetly be rejected as it is HIGHLY competitive and has a very high over subscription. However, after my mocks i have been consistently revising and learning ahead as i really want to get atleast 9 grade 9s and 2 grade
8s. If i do manage to achieve these grades and call the school's admission team on results day, will i most likely be offered a place with the A levels i want to take?
(btw i have tried looking on the schools website but nothing of this sort is mentioned)
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous_dragon
Hi,
I'm currently in year 11 and we had our mocks in November. I did a lot worse than expected as I procrastinated revision SEVERELY. I want to go to this sixth form (it is a grammar school and is in the top ten state schools). The minimum points to enter the school is 57 points across your 8 best predicted gcses, I have exactly 57 points so i can apply however would definetly be rejected as it is HIGHLY competitive and has a very high over subscription. However, after my mocks i have been consistently revising and learning ahead as i really want to get atleast 9 grade 9s and 2 grade
8s. If i do manage to achieve these grades and call the school's admission team on results day, will i most likely be offered a place with the A levels i want to take?
(btw i have tried looking on the schools website but nothing of this sort is mentioned)

If the minimum points are 57, they're 57 for a reason so if you get that or higher I would be surprised if they didn't let you in based on grades alone. My advice would be to do extra curricular activities, especially if your school offers anything that will help academically such as any short courses or something along those lines. Also, if you're revising now and you're most likely going to get higher than 57, your final results are far more important than what you apply with - and the ones you're applying with are enough for them to take into consideration so don't worry!!
Original post by ilovemycats32
If the minimum points are 57, they're 57 for a reason so if you get that or higher I would be surprised if they didn't let you in based on grades alone. My advice would be to do extra curricular activities, especially if your school offers anything that will help academically such as any short courses or something along those lines. Also, if you're revising now and you're most likely going to get higher than 57, your final results are far more important than what you apply with - and the ones you're applying with are enough for them to take into consideration so don't worry!!

Hi, thanks for the reply it has calmed me down a lot :smile:
I don't think extracurriculars count for this specific sixth form but I do have to write a personal statement for application based on mock results so I will mention extracurriculars out of school and in school.
I'm just scared that when I call up on results day (even if I get all 9s) they won't have any spaces left to accept me.

Quick Reply

Latest