The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

exeter or bristol for law?

Offers from both and am not sure on which to choose. Despite Bristol's ranking I have heard that there have recently been a lot of problems with exams and marking strikes. Also have heard there is not as much support there. How important is ranking and has anyone been at Bristol and is able to share their experience. Does anyone know what a 1st from Exeter would be looked at in comparison to a 2:1 or 2:2 from Bristol? I am very undecided so any information and help at all would be greatly appreciated x
Original post by Anonymous #1
Offers from both and am not sure on which to choose. Despite Bristol's ranking I have heard that there have recently been a lot of problems with exams and marking strikes. Also have heard there is not as much support there. How important is ranking and has anyone been at Bristol and is able to share their experience. Does anyone know what a 1st from Exeter would be looked at in comparison to a 2:1 or 2:2 from Bristol? I am very undecided so any information and help at all would be greatly appreciated x
I studied law at bristol and had exeter as insurance. In terms of the legal industry bristol is better regarded but exeter is hardly bad at all. I found the teaching at bristol good and by going to a top uni for law you will be surrounded by many people applying for top training contracts, I knew loads of people getting top offers. I imagine it will be similair at exeter but to a lesser extent. However Law firms are increasingly egalitarian and care far far more about your law grades and extracurriculars, a first at exeter is better than a 2.1 at bristol and 100000% better than a 2.2 at bristol. If I were to do it again Id probably still pick bristol over exeter as it does have a stronger rep for law, its similair to durham in placements at top firms, but i think i would have enjoyed exeter more, bristol can be overwhelming and if youre not a confident and self assured person it can be easy to fall off track, i struggled a bit focusing on my studies throughout my first and second year. Ultimately if you go to exeter youre not at a big disadvantage at all, so go there if you prefer, i just imagine the average student there will be less competitive than the average bristol law student
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
I studied law at bristol and had exeter as insurance. In terms of the legal industry bristol is better regarded but exeter is hardly bad at all. I found the teaching at bristol good and by going to a top uni for law you will be surrounded by many people applying for top training contracts, I knew loads of people getting top offers. I imagine it will be similair at exeter but to a lesser extent. However Law firms are increasingly egalitarian and care far far more about your law grades and extracurriculars, a first at exeter is better than a 2.1 at bristol and 100000% better than a 2.2 at bristol. If I were to do it again Id probably still pick bristol over exeter as it does have a stronger rep for law, its similair to durham in placements at top firms, but i think i would have enjoyed exeter more, bristol can be overwhelming and if youre not a confident and self assured person it can be easy to fall off track, i struggled a bit focusing on my studies throughout my first and second year. Ultimately if you go to exeter youre not at a big disadvantage at all, so go there if you prefer, i just imagine the average student there will be less competitive than the average bristol law student
Thank you for your response I really appreciateany insight at all into these universities as I don’tknow anyone at either of them. In terms of contacthours and overall lecturers in general at Bristol didyou find they were satisfactory and did you feelsupported when struggling with any particularcontent or examinations? I am looking to become asolicitor after completing my degree so reputationin firms is quite important to me. If you have anyinsight into how you found the application processafter university I would really appreciate it too Ithink the main consideration for me at the momentis the contrast between Bristol being a city baseduniversity and Exeter having a campus which feelsvery student led and supportive. How did you findthe accommodation at Bristol? I do like bothuniversities so I think it will be a tough decision!Thanks for the help anyways
Reply 3
Despite Bristol's ranking I have heard that there have recently been a lot of problems with exams and marking strikes

It's worth noting that the strike action that involved a marking and assessment boycott affected a lot more universities than just Bristol. See UCU's page here: https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/12879/Marking-and-assessment-boycott-to-hit-145-UK-universities-from-tomorrow-UCU-confirms

Obviously the impact of the boycott varied depending on how many staff were members of the union and participated in the action.
(edited 1 month ago)
Go to Exeter - it's far nicer to live in. Bristol is putting people in halls in Wales as they are so short of places in halls.

Exeter is better for Law - the poster went to Bristol so is bound to say it's better!
Bristol is defo better for law but not massively so, go where you prefer imo
Original post by Muttley79
Go to Exeter - it's far nicer to live in. Bristol is putting people in halls in Wales as they are so short of places in halls.
Exeter is better for Law - the poster went to Bristol so is bound to say it's better!
on what metrics and authority can you make that claim? Bristol is far more competitive to get an offer, requires better grades and the LNAT, more represented in MC and SC Firms. I would be interested to see how you back your claims
Original post by Anonymous #3
on what metrics and authority can you make that claim? Bristol is far more competitive to get an offer, requires better grades and the LNAT, more represented in MC and SC Firms. I would be interested to see how you back your claims
Why anon if you are so convinced you are right? The data I've seen says teaching is better at Exeter and course satisfaction is also higher. Ex-students are in top firms and Bristol is such a dodgy place to live especially at the moment.
I am right, satisfaction is a bs metric used by poor academic unis to bolster their ratings, Bristol has better satisfaction than LSE does that make is a better university certainly not. Teaching is such a subjective metric when comparing unis for something like law grades and rankings and course rep matter- Bristol takes the cake on all those points. Also not that rankings matter a lot but Exeter 20 vs Bristol 8 is a big gap. I do agree about accommodation at Bristol however. Regarding firms I am not saying Exeter is not a good uni for law, it does place well in top firms. Bristol just does better. You've also just proven Bristol is better by not addressing my points about entry standards, ranking or reputation
Original post by Anonymous #3
I am right, satisfaction is a bs metric used by poor academic unis to bolster their ratings, Bristol has better satisfaction than LSE does that make is a better university certainly not. Teaching is such a subjective metric when comparing unis for something like law grades and rankings and course rep matter- Bristol takes the cake on all those points. Also not that rankings matter a lot but Exeter 20 vs Bristol 8 is a big gap. I do agree about accommodation at Bristol however. Regarding firms I am not saying Exeter is not a good uni for law, it does place well in top firms. Bristol just does better. You've also just proven Bristol is better by not addressing my points about entry standards, ranking or reputation
Post under you user name and I'll answer you.
Bristol is inarguably better for law, there should be no debate here. Not by much of course, Exeter is very decent. The point about satisfaction is valid, but it's arguably a trade off some people might be willing to make. There's a reason why LSE is so demanded despite poor satisfaction ratings, for example.
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
Bristol is inarguably better for law, there should be no debate here. Not by much of course, Exeter is very decent. The point about satisfaction is valid, but it's arguably a trade off some people might be willing to make. There's a reason why LSE is so demanded despite poor satisfaction ratings, for example.
Better teaching is surely a big plus. Commuting from Wales isn't going to help you get a good degree and that's the important thing here.
Bristol get in the news for all the wrong reasons which makes it somewhere best avoided.
Original post by gracious-primary
Then argue that as opposed to saying exeter is better for law. There are major issues at bristol but for many courses it remains a top uni and its issues do not affect its reputation for that subject. Just argue your point well, i agree exeter seems to be a better run uni, but bristol still remains a better uni reputation wise for law
In your opinion but lots of people including law firms don't agree with you. Why can't people disagree civilly but some posters just abuse those with different views which just show how weak their argument is.

Better does not mean higher entry grades btw - nor does use of LNAT.
In your opinion but lots of people including law firms don't agree with you. Why can't people disagree civilly but some posters just abuse those with different views which just show how weak their argument is.
Just seen your last exeter vs bristol post, you are incredibly biased, OP do not listen to this person, they have no idea what theyre on about
Why is Exeter better? Genuinely curious as a prospective law student
Exeter gives literally everyone offers. Bristol is better. take Bristol.
Original post by Anonymous #4
Why is Exeter better? Genuinely curious as a prospective law student
PM me - fed up with abusive posters who tink they can bully people.
Bully is a strong word, you have failed to present a decent argument and your advice is potentially harmful as it is simply incorrect. To argue satisfaction and teaching means a uni is more respected in a subject as opposed to Rankings, Entry requirements and historical reputaiton for the subject is ridiculous, the only explanation for such an incorrect stance is bias.

-You also failed to mention a single reputable law firm that would prefer exeter law - something you claimed- also seems you're a teacher whose only source of knowledge is ex-students so essentially you have only anecdotal evidence and refuse to acknowlege any actual evidence contrary to your bias

- Also you claim many think exeter is better, you still remain the only person on this forum with that opinion.
Nobody is bullying you. Get over it. It's a disagreement, and your only argument is about teaching quality/satisfaction. These are fair points, but obviously not the entire picture.

These are subjective measures. By every objective measure, Bristol is ahead. End of discussion.
basically OP choose Bristol.

Latest

Trending

Trending