The Student Room Group

Going to a good University for law with low GCSE but Great A-levels

Hello all! Im currently in the last term of year 12 and Im thinking about applying to go for a law course In the uni's Bristol, KCL, UCL or Exeter. as-well as an application to Cambridge to study land economy. Of course those 5 options would take up the total limited amount on UCAS so I may have to priorities the LAW uni's I feel I have the best chance in, as well as choose a fall back course just in case.

The only real concern I have is my GCSE's because I only achieved two 8s, one 7 and the rest 6s. However, for A-levels I have received my predicted grades of 3 A* in A-levels and 1 A in an AS level. I have checked over the minimum requirements for these uni's to study law and I do meet them in terms of GCSE's. I am just wondering on whether anyone thinks I have a fighting chance in gaining offers from these quite competitive uni's with GCSE's that are all together quite low but A-levels that are quite high.

I do also have some good super-curricular to put down on my application to hopefully stand out E.G I started a law society in my year to discuss law, though the chances of these carrying much weighting I recon are quite low.
Original post by lucasmcewen
Hello all! Im currently in the last term of year 12 and Im thinking about applying to go for a law course In the uni's Bristol, KCL, UCL or Exeter. as-well as an application to Cambridge to study land economy. Of course those 5 options would take up the total limited amount on UCAS so I may have to priorities the LAW uni's I feel I have the best chance in, as well as choose a fall back course just in case.

The only real concern I have is my GCSE's because I only achieved two 8s, one 7 and the rest 6s. However, for A-levels I have received my predicted grades of 3 A* in A-levels and 1 A in an AS level. I have checked over the minimum requirements for these uni's to study law and I do meet them in terms of GCSE's. I am just wondering on whether anyone thinks I have a fighting chance in gaining offers from these quite competitive uni's with GCSE's that are all together quite low but A-levels that are quite high.

I do also have some good super-curricular to put down on my application to hopefully stand out E.G I started a law society in my year to discuss law, though the chances of these carrying much weighting I recon are quite low.

Firstly most of these will require the LNAT so you will need to arrange to take that. Exeter is the exception so would be a good choice. Bristol dont have specific GCSE requirements and they form a small part of the weighting. They look more at A levels and the LNAT.

I would be wary at applying to 2 London unis plus Cambridge as they have high rejection rates and again require LNAT. I think you would be advised to only apply to 1 in London and look for a non LNAT university together with Exeter.
Reply 2
Original post by lucasmcewen

You have a chance of getting into all of them, including Cambridge, as although most will have much higher GCSE grades than you, there is no set min of 8s & 9s. However, there is also a very real chance that you won’t get into any of them as they are all very competitive. I would strongly suggest that you apply to 1 or 2 safer options to ensure you don’t end up with nothing.
The LNAT is a complete pain and you need to really practise it. My daughter was similar to yourself with average GCSE grades and higher A level predictions (predicted 3A's) and applied to Nottingham, Exeter, Warwick, Sussex and Cardiff (I think?). Warwick rejected her outright, I'm pretty sure it was probably based on her GCSEs. She mucked up the LNAT, just missing what Nottingham wanted so was really disappointed with that (which she didn't really need whilst studying for her A levels - so it was extra pressure) but they offered her a place on a different course. Exeter offered her a conditional offer of A*AA for straight Law. She missed that by 2 grades (one was later remarked and upgraded) but they accepted her on the course and she loves it there. Personally I would hedge your bets as some of the higher Russell Group unis, I would say, will reject you because of your GCSE's. Warwick had the same entry requirements as my daughter was predicted and they still rejected her. Additionally, she had really bright friends who were rejected by over half their uni choices for law, one aimed high for all and was rejected by all of them, partly because of the LNAT score they got so are having to take a gap year. Three of the universities you have listed require the LNAT and you only get one shot at it, you're not told your LNAT marks until I think the beginning of January (if you took it before then). I would just hedge your bets with the universities. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending