The Student Room Group

Law with French Law - where should I choose?

I've applied for 2024 entry for Law with French Law (or equivalent at each uni.)

I've currently got offers from Warwick, Nottingham and Cardiff and I'm waiting to hear back from Oxford (post interview) and Bristol. I'm relatively hopeful that since I got an Oxford interview maybe Bristol will let me in, but we'll see.

Was wondering if anyone currently attending those unis/or simply knows a bit about them in this context that they could give me some advice? Some potential insights about how they're finding it there, stuff they like and dislike about the course which they didn't see coming ect.

My top choice is Oxford, but I sense rejection may be imminent. After that, Warwick and Bristol are probably tied. I've seen Warwick and really liked it there - is it worth me going to look at Nottingham and Cardiff too? My plan was to just look at Bristol (in the event of an offer.)

So if anyone has anything to say that would be really helpful :smile: Choosing a uni is a big choice and it always feels really daunting, but I'm sure I'll have a great time wherever I end up.
Reply 1
Hello! I hope your admission process is going well! Saw your thread that reminded me of myself about 6 years ago 🙂
I did English Law and French Law (Master 1) in Exeter and Rennes universities (EU Law Master 1), which is slightly different than the courses you've applied to, as I did also apply to Warwick and got an offer there for English Law and French Law, but did not end up going there because back then (I don't know about now!) Warwick did not offer the Maitrise 1 qualification, but Exeter did. Anyways, if you have any questions regarding french law/ the year abroad, feel free to reach out!
I do law with french law at Oxford and there is way less french than I thought there would be. We only have one two hour class each week which is just sort of general discussion rather than being taught anything particularly concrete.

The course in general is a lot more independent work than I thought it would be, even though they tell you to expect that. Lectures are optional and often aren’t that relevant so some weeks you might only have 90 minutes of contact with a tutor. I’m enjoying my course but I do sometimes wonder if I picked the right uni lol. (That being said I would definitely still pick Oxford if I had the chance to go back and choose again)
Reply 3
Original post by chl0zzz
I've applied for 2024 entry for Law with French Law (or equivalent at each uni.)

I've currently got offers from Warwick, Nottingham and Cardiff and I'm waiting to hear back from Oxford (post interview) and Bristol. I'm relatively hopeful that since I got an Oxford interview maybe Bristol will let me in, but we'll see.

Was wondering if anyone currently attending those unis/or simply knows a bit about them in this context that they could give me some advice? Some potential insights about how they're finding it there, stuff they like and dislike about the course which they didn't see coming ect.

My top choice is Oxford, but I sense rejection may be imminent. After that, Warwick and Bristol are probably tied. I've seen Warwick and really liked it there - is it worth me going to look at Nottingham and Cardiff too? My plan was to just look at Bristol (in the event of an offer.)

So if anyone has anything to say that would be really helpful :smile: Choosing a uni is a big choice and it always feels really daunting, but I'm sure I'll have a great time wherever I end up.

Hey I'm currently in year 12 and planning to apply for 2025 entry! Any tips for personal statement? I've heard its a very competitive course especially at Warwick/ Oxford. Thanks
Original post by chl0zzz

Hey, as you also got an offer from Cardiff for Law and French, have you also been sent an email today saying that they no longer run the course? I got an email saying that today and it seems like pretty poor form to only let people know now, when we're so close to the UCAS deadline.
Reply 5
Original post by Seebtheweeb1
Hey, as you also got an offer from Cardiff for Law and French, have you also been sent an email today saying that they no longer run the course? I got an email saying that today and it seems like pretty poor form to only let people know now, when we're so close to the UCAS deadline.

Yes, was sent the email too... I applied in October; pretty irritating that they didn't decide or say this before I'd actually applied/before the academic year otherwise I would've used that slot to apply somewhere else. Oh well, that's the way things go sometimes I guess.
Original post by chl0zzz
Yes, was sent the email too... I applied in October; pretty irritating that they didn't decide or say this before I'd actually applied/before the academic year otherwise I would've used that slot to apply somewhere else. Oh well, that's the way things go sometimes I guess.

Yeah it was really annoying because it was one of my top choices and now I have to go chasing up other universities so that they consider me. Did you get into Oxford out of curiosity?
Reply 7
Original post by Seebtheweeb1
Yeah it was really annoying because it was one of my top choices and now I have to go chasing up other universities so that they consider me. Did you get into Oxford out of curiosity?

No, I was rejected - was expected, but the irritating thing is that the college I was reallocated to/interviewed for doesn't give feedback, so I guess I won't really know why that is.
Original post by chl0zzz

have you heard back from bristol and what are ur stats... very nervous, applied there for law with french too
Reply 9
Original post by jwods3405
have you heard back from bristol and what are ur stats... very nervous, applied there for law with french too

Yes, heard back a few days ago, got an offer.
Offer for A*AA or 2xA*s and B.
Predicted grades: 3xA* (chem, english, french)
LNAT 27, GCSES all 9s except one 8

Hope you hear back soon - I was nervous too as it seemed like I'd been on hold for months and was uncertain why it was taking so long.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending