The Student Room Group

Should I apply for Bristol of Warwick?

I've applied to Exeter, QM, Birmingham, and Cambridge in which I've obtained conditional offers from Exeter and QM. I have one more choice left and I am thinking about either Bristol or Warwick. I've visted bristol and fell in love with the city so It would be really nice to be a student there. However what makes me hesitant to do this is that they require LNAT. I totally blacked out and do not remember what happened but I am not super confident in how I performed. I have really strong Personal Statement, (Been told, and I think it's valid to belive considering ive obtained two offers) and A*AA predicted, and academic references are also pretty good, i believe. I'd like you people's insights on how competitive Bristol law admission is and whether or not I should risk my final choice? I've seen that their offer rate is not that low - some websites say its up to 70% (offer rate) whilst their acceptance rate ranges from 11-12% to 36%. If you have any reliable resources please let me know. thanks x
(edited 5 months ago)
From what I have heard from my friends who go to both unis, it seems like Bristol is a big party uni and is great fun. Warwick from what I have heard is more academically focused, but also has some good fun activities that go on. Warwick is obviously the uni with the better 'brand' so really it is up to you and what type of person you want to be at university.
Original post by nathanCheetah
From what I have heard from my friends who go to both unis, it seems like Bristol is a big party uni and is great fun. Warwick from what I have heard is more academically focused, but also has some good fun activities that go on. Warwick is obviously the uni with the better 'brand' so really it is up to you and what type of person you want to be at university.

Just a thought mainly for the OP, but isn't Warwick's reputation mainly built on subjects such as maths and economics? I don't know what Bristol's reputation is like in law specifically, but it has long had high academic standards overall.
Reply 3
Original post by jasriverfield
I've applied to Exeter, QM, Birmingham, and Cambridge in which I've obtained conditional offers from Exeter and QM. I have one more choice left and I am thinking about either Bristol or Warwick. I've visted bristol and fell in love with the city so It would be really nice to be a student there. However what makes me hesitant to do this is that they require LNAT. I totally blacked out and do not remember what happened but I am not super confident in how I performed. I have really strong Personal Statement, (Been told, and I think it's valid to belive considering ive obtained two offers) and A*AA predicted, and academic references are also pretty good, i believe. I'd like you people's insights on how competitive Bristol law admission is and whether or not I should risk my final choice? I've seen that their offer rate is not that low - some websites say its up to 70% (offer rate) whilst their acceptance rate ranges from 11-12% to 36%. If you have any reliable resources please let me know. thanks x

Warwick and Bristol are very much on par regarding reputation for Law, so it will make zero difference to your career prospects which one you choose. Go for the one you think you would prefer. I don't think going for either one poses much of a risk, as you already have 2 good offers, and will very likely get an offer from Birmingham also. You only need one firm and one insurance after all. Just make sure you have an insurance with lower grades than your firm.

Oh and offer rate is what you should look at, as the acceptance rate will always be much lower as many will get an offer but choose to go elsewhere, or will accept the offer but not make the grades.
(edited 5 months ago)
It sounds like you prefer Bristol.

So two questions:
- when do you find out your LNAT - is it before the application deadline?
- If you received a Warwick offer, given your current offers, i,e, qm & exeter, would you select it as your firm choice university? (Working with only offers in hand).
Original post by ageshallnot
Just a thought mainly for the OP, but isn't Warwick's reputation mainly built on subjects such as maths and economics? I don't know what Bristol's reputation is like in law specifically, but it has long had high academic standards overall.
Maybe overall but for Law bristol has a better reputaiton than warwick
Original post by jasriverfield
Bristol base their offers on 20% GCSE's 40% A-levels 40% LNAT results, they only use the personal statement for tie break situations. As long as you have done well in your LNAT it's worth an application. I have been put on hold with predictions A* AA and 34 LNAT if that helps. Barely any home students have received an offer yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending