The Student Room Group

a* at a level maths

how have people effectively gotten an a*?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by dg\asdefasdf
how have people effectively gotten an a*?

hii!! i’m in yr13 and i got an A* in the actual alevel in yr12 (i do fm so we take maths a year early). i did edexcel btw. my biggest tips:
- practice integration and differentiation daily. not too much, just 5-10 each per day - super important!!
- do papers, but more importantly old spec international papers (search c12 and c34 past papers pmt). they’re super close to the edexcel spec!!
- learn from those papers ^ do questions by topic on any topics you underperformed in.
- make sure you’re solid on the big topics (integration, differentiation, trigonometry, logs+exponentials)
- focus mainly on pure, as it’s 2/3rds of your grade, but don’t forget about applied and be sure to practice them too
- work on how you think about larger questions - approach them step by step & think of what you would do in a normal situation where you have that question (works best when it’s algebraic) - this one may not make sense haha

i have much more tbh ik it’s a lot but hope this helps :smile:
Original post by xbqvz
hii!! i’m in yr13 and i got an A* in the actual alevel in yr12 (i do fm so we take maths a year early). i did edexcel btw. my biggest tips:
- practice integration and differentiation daily. not too much, just 5-10 each per day - super important!!
- do papers, but more importantly old spec international papers (search c12 and c34 past papers pmt). they’re super close to the edexcel spec!!
- learn from those papers ^ do questions by topic on any topics you underperformed in.
- make sure you’re solid on the big topics (integration, differentiation, trigonometry, logs+exponentials)
- focus mainly on pure, as it’s 2/3rds of your grade, but don’t forget about applied and be sure to practice them too
- work on how you think about larger questions - approach them step by step & think of what you would do in a normal situation where you have that question (works best when it’s algebraic) - this one may not make sense haha

This is such good advice!!!! I haven't started focusing on topics instead of just doing exercises from the book. tysmm do you have more tips? Any would be much appreciated!
Reply 4
Original post by dg\asdefasdf
Original post by xbqvz

This is such good advice!!!! I haven't started focusing on topics instead of just doing exercises from the book. tysmm do you have more tips? Any would be much appreciated!

i feel like the textbooks aren’t amazing tbh. if you do textbook questions, i would suggest focusing solely on the ones that say (E/P) next to it or the review exercises!! definitely make use of the old spec papers. look out for standard questions (that turn up a lot). i have school now but i’ll come back to this thread later to throw in some more tips!
Original post by xbqvz
i feel like the textbooks aren’t amazing tbh. if you do textbook questions, i would suggest focusing solely on the ones that say (E/P) next to it or the review exercises!! definitely make use of the old spec papers. look out for standard questions (that turn up a lot). i have school now but i’ll come back to this thread later to throw in some more tips!
ohhh okay yeah I've seen some of those Ferris wheel questions come up from current papers
Original post by xbqvz

Please tell us more 🙏🙏

Quick Reply

Latest