The Student Room Group

Studying a mathematical science degree

Hello, Ive recently started yr 12 studying maths, chemistry and biology as well as an EPQ. (I have initial target/predicted grades of 4 A*s). I initially wanted to study a bio medical course but have recently found I'm a lot more interested in studying a data science, MORSE or maths, statistics and data science course. I'm aware some unis prefer those who study FM, could I still apply and be considered for these courses with my chosen subjects (as I can no longer swap)?

Im thinking of applying to unis such as Bath, Southampton, Bristol and potentially a course at Imperial or LSE where FM isnt required
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Probably not for imperial/LSE/Bath but you would be fine for southampton MORSE
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yzven
Probably not for imperial/LSE/Bath but you would be fine for southampton MORSE

Thank you! I had a look at a Bath course which states it is suitable for those not studying further maths, so maybe that could be an option too.
Original post by Gabbybnnt
Hello, Ive recently started yr 12 studying maths, chemistry and biology as well as an EPQ. (I have initial target/predicted grades of 4 A*s). I initially wanted to study a bio medical course but have recently found I'm a lot more interested in studying a data science, MORSE or maths, statistics and data science course. I'm aware some unis prefer those who study FM, could I still apply and be considered for these courses with my chosen subjects (as I can no longer swap)?

Im thinking of applying to unis such as Bath, Southampton, Bristol and potentially a course at Imperial or LSE where FM isnt required

Basically all the mathematical courses at LSE would expect you to take FM if it is available to you. I imagine you would be less competitive at Imperial without it too.

There are some courses at Warwick which might be worth considering without FM.

Realistically though if that's the route you want to go I would recommend just planning to take FM now, or to do it in a gap year.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Basically all the mathematical courses at LSE would expect you to take FM if it is available to you. I imagine you would be less competitive at Imperial without it too.

There are some courses at Warwick which might be worth considering without FM.

Realistically though if that's the route you want to go I would recommend just planning to take FM now, or to do it in a gap year.

Okay, thank you! I have tried to ask my school to swap but they wont let me so Im not too sure what to do. For unis such as bath, bristol and leeds, do you think I would be able to apply with the subjects I currently have?
(edited 5 months ago)
Okay, thank you! I have tried to ask my school to swap but they wont let me so Im not too sure what to do. For unis such as bath, bristol and leeds, do you think I would be able to apply with the subjects I currently have?

Depends on exactly what you are applying for.

For Leeds and Bath you'd probably be considered for the main maths degree without it, you might be a bit less competitive at Bath.

Bristol I think you'd be quite a bit less competitive without FM for the maths course, but for para-mathematical subjects like CS or engineering or physics it might be less of an issue.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends on exactly what you are applying for.

For Leeds and Bath you'd probably be considered for the main maths degree without it, you might be a bit less competitive at Bath.

Bristol I think you'd be quite a bit less competitive without FM for the maths course, but for para-mathematical subjects like CS or engineering or physics it might be less of an issue.

I would apply for a MORSE course or a data science course or actuarial science, not pure maths. I might try find a way to do AS further maths outside of school too though.
Reply 7
Bath only requires FM for single subject Maths or for Maths/Stats.
The Data Science course does not - Mathematics, Statistics and Data Science BSc (Hons) with professional placement or study abroad (bath.ac.uk)
Reply 8

Hi I’m doing the exact same a levels as you and have just applied to university in year 13, I applied to manchester, Edinburgh and exeter for maths and then bath for economics and bristol for data science! I would not recommend applying to any courses where further maths is preferred and any universities which dont specify. I would say to double check with the admissions team before you do. For example st andrews highly recommend further maths, however they dont say on their admissions website. And lastly I have received offers to study maths at manchester and exeter already after submitting my application a week ago so I wouldn’t be worried if you dont take further maths! Hope this helps
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by tiahayes
Hi I’m doing the exact same a levels as you and have just applied to university in year 13, I applied to manchester, Edinburgh and exeter for maths and then bath for economics and bristol for data science! I would not recommend applying to any courses where further maths is preferred and any universities which dont specify. I would say to double check with the admissions team before you do. For example st andrews highly recommend further maths, however they dont say on their admissions website. And lastly I have received offers to study maths at manchester and exeter already after submitting my application a week ago so I wouldn’t be worried if you dont take further maths! Hope this helps

Thank you sm, this really helped and congratulations on the offers!!

Quick Reply

Latest