The Student Room Group

EZ isomerism

why does pentan-3-ol form E and stereroisomers when reacted with an acid catalyst?
i understand it is a dehydration lesson, just confused on how the resulting molecules show EZ stereoisomerism?
Original post by Nat4695
why does pentan-3-ol form E and stereroisomers when reacted with an acid catalyst?
i understand it is a dehydration lesson, just confused on how the resulting molecules show EZ stereoisomerism?
You have a C=C bond, which has restricted rotation due to pi bond. Each carbon is attached to 2 different groups. Easier to see if you draw pent-2-ane from the C=C, with Z (z for zame, same side) and E (E for oppozete, opposite).
IMG_5546.jpeg
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by BankaiGintoki
You have a C=C bond, which has restricted rotation due to pi bond. Each carbon is attached to 2 different groups. Easier to see if you draw pent-2-ane from the C=C, with Z (z for zame, same side) and E (E for oppozete, opposite).
IMG_5546.jpeg

E for oppozete!!! :lol:
Reply 3
thanks for replying! much clearer now, but one thing, i thought the dehyrdation reaction produced an alkene??
Original post by Nat4695
thanks for replying! much clearer now, but one thing, i thought the dehyrdation reaction produced an alkene??
Sorry, I made the mistake of calling it ‘pent-2-ane’instead of pent-2-ene. It was late at night when I responded.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Sorry, I made the mistake of calling it ‘pent-2-ane’instead of pent-2-ene. It was late at night when I responded.
No worries thank you so much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest