The Student Room Group

Level 3 Extended Diploma - please help!

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help as I've worked myself up into such a frenzy worrying about this. I did a City & Guilds Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management 7yrs ago and achieved (what I thought and what my college told me I got) D*D*D*. I have 2 certificates, both which say D* on. I also have 3 A-Levels in non-science subjects. At the time no universities accepted the diploma without Chemistry A-Level for vet med, so I went to uni and did another animal-related degree but hated it so much I withdrew after 2yrs.

Applied for vet med this year as now there are new courses that do accept diplomas, and have received an offer from UCLAN which says 'subject to sending proof of Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma (1080) with grades D*D*D*'
I got my certificates out to send copies but now I've looked at them properly for the first time in years I am very worried my diploma is somehow different to the one on the offer?

I don't know if I've mistakenly entered it wrong on UCAS, or if it's just an older version of the same qualification but on my certificates it says 90 Credit Diploma for the 1st year and Level 3 Extended Diploma for the 2nd year. Both with D* grades, I also have 19 modules completed at Distinction grade. At the time I remember my college tutor saying 1st year was 720 then 2nd was 1080, it just doesn't say those numbers on the certificates.

Is this the same qualification? I've emailed admissions twice but had no reply, and when I called the lady told me to just wait for an email response. Now I am just sat here worrying myself sick that my place won't be confirmed because my Diploma is somehow different/not good enough. This is my only chance of doing the course, I am a care leaver and not in a position to do further studies as the only qualifications higher than what I have is a degree. To make matters worse I have to renew or leave my tenancy agreement by the start of April, and whether I do depends on if I'm going to uni in September or not :frown:

Any help would be appreciated!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by liv1313
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help as I've worked myself up into such a frenzy worrying about this. I did a City & Guilds Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management 7yrs ago and achieved (what I thought and what my college told me I got) D*D*D*. I have 2 certificates, both which say D* on. I also have 3 A-Levels in non-science subjects. At the time no universities accepted the diploma without Chemistry A-Level for vet med, so I went to uni and did another animal-related degree but hated it so much I withdrew after 2yrs.

Applied for vet med this year as now there are new courses that do accept diplomas, and have received an offer from UCLAN which says 'subject to sending proof of Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma (1080) with grades D*D*D*'
I got my certificates out to send copies but now I've looked at them properly for the first time in years I am very worried my diploma is somehow different to the one on the offer?

I don't know if I've mistakenly entered it wrong on UCAS, or if it's just an older version of the same qualification but on my certificates it says 90 Credit Diploma for the 1st year and Level 3 Extended Diploma for the 2nd year. Both with D* grades, I also have 19 modules completed at Distinction grade. At the time I remember my college tutor saying 1st year was 720 then 2nd was 1080, it just doesn't say those numbers on the certificates.

Is this the same qualification? I've emailed admissions twice but had no reply, and when I called the lady told me to just wait for an email response. Now I am just sat here worrying myself sick that my place won't be confirmed because my Diploma is somehow different/not good enough. This is my only chance of doing the course, I am a care leaver and not in a position to do further studies as the only qualifications higher than what I have is a degree. To make matters worse I have to renew or leave my tenancy agreement by the start of April, and whether I do depends on if I'm going to uni in September or not :frown:

You say you have a "City & Guilds Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management". Is that the course you entered in your UCAS application? If so, then UCLAN have made a mistake by requesting evidence of your "Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma (1080)", given that that's a different qualification.

The qualification you've taken is 1080 guided learning hours, but is graded P/M/D/D*, which matches what you have on your certificate. (See here for confirmation.) Did you claim to have grades D*D*D*? If so, then that's probably what's confused them.

I think you'll just need to wait for them to respond to your emails, but the two courses seem equivalent in terms of size (in guided learning hours), level, and grade to me. So you should be fine. But you'll only know for sure once they respond.
Original post by liv1313
Hi everyone,

The confusion is because your qualification is before 2019. You have an overall D* (the second year Ext Dip includes the first year 90 credits) which is 168 UCAS points. You must have selected the 'first awarded in 2019' option on UCAS which is D*D*D* which is also 168 UCAS points. Email a copy of your certificate with that explanation and hopefully they will sort it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending