The Student Room Group

Solicitor's Qualifying Work Experience before university?

In order to qualify as a solicitor via the SQE route, I'm aware that 2 years of QWE must be undertaken. Mostly people do that after they've obtained their degree, either before, during or after taking the SQE 1 and 2

Does anyone know whether it's possible to do some QWE BEFORE even starting studying for a Law degree? I haven't gone to university yet, but there's the possibility I could work as a Legal Administrator for some time. Could this later count as QWE?
Original post by Lunafreya_7
In order to qualify as a solicitor via the SQE route, I'm aware that 2 years of QWE must be undertaken. Mostly people do that after they've obtained their degree, either before, during or after taking the SQE 1 and 2
Does anyone know whether it's possible to do some QWE BEFORE even starting studying for a Law degree? I haven't gone to university yet, but there's the possibility I could work as a Legal Administrator for some time. Could this later count as QWE?

It would seem to be possible, however please note that I think you may find it difficult to show that a legal admin role counts as QWE. For it to count as QWE, you need to be in a role that involves carrying out reserved legal activity, or providing legal advice and assistance or representation. You also need to demonstrate at least two of the four core competencies. A secretarial/admin role is not likely to result in much opportunity to do this. If you were to try and use such a role as QWE you should have a conversation about whether it will count as soon as possible - before accepting the job ideally!
You would need to check the rules as I am not sure but even if you can it must meet the competencies for QWE - eg a formal training contract as a solicitor or provision of legal advice (which most school leavers are not allowed to give in most settings as they do not know enough about the law to give it).
Reply 3
Depending on the work you'd be doing in the role it'd probably be useful in terms of a grounding in solid basics of an office role with a bit of a legal flavour, but I can't see it meeting the threshold of QWE.

If you're filling in a bit of time before you go to Uni and the work fits in easily with that then my view is worth doing, but I wouldn't delay going to uni for the sake of the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending