The Student Room Group

LLB in the netherlands

how does it work? i've applied to just groningen for it so far, though i want to understand how it works in full in terms of postgrad job opportunities before i apply to other unis. will i have to take a conversion course since my course won't be 'dutch' law?
Original post by abcefegh
how does it work? i've applied to just groningen for it so far, though i want to understand how it works in full in terms of postgrad job opportunities before i apply to other unis. will i have to take a conversion course since my course won't be 'dutch' law?

Possibly, depends on the rules for qualifying in each country. In the Netherlands, I understand that to be an 'Advocaat' (Lawyer) you will need to complete an LLB to practice. My dad completed his LLB in the Netherlands and is qualified there. When moving to the UK he had to complete a conversion course in order to practice, as these are different law systems. This was in the 1990s/2000s.

However, under the new UK qualifying system solicitors & barristers are not obligated to have a law degree. I am not sure about the process for barristers, but for solicitors, you have to pass SQE 1 and 2, and have --I think-- 2 years of experience. These costs and experience requirements are covered by training contracts with firms. However, if you are from a non-law background, it is more difficult to pass SQE 1, so people may take a postgraduate conversion course to prepare for it. If you have an overseas law degree you would fit under the non-UK law background. So, if you have an LLB in the Netherlands you may be able to progress to SQE 1 and a training contract (and SQE2) right after graduating, but it depends on your applications to firms and how well prepared you think you may be for the exams.

But then again, I have not personally gone through this full experience, so don't take the above as fact, I may be wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending