The Student Room Group

Biology a level crisis

Hey i just thought i'd share my frustration to you as a year 12 studying biology, english lit, politics and an EPQ. I plan to pursue law at the uni of manchester. You might me wondering why i chose biology, matter of fact it was just pure interest, i know a lot of universities recognise students who do 1 STEM A level as its quite harder to get an A* in a stem subject. I've been finding biology difficult, i only JUST got my first A* in Immunology after 6 months of the course. The teacher is also a bit of a prick and constantly pushes me to do better which is quite good of him however im struggling to manage my time as all my energy is going into bio and im finding it harder to deal with my other subjects, i can drop it after the mocks in May and then perhaps do an easier subject like business that i can cover in 1 year. I have been getting Ds, Es and Us in biology but i only just improved to an A*.......would love to hear what you all think and if there is a right time to know when to drop a subject.
Original post by IMABUFF
Hey i just thought i'd share my frustration to you as a year 12 studying biology, english lit, politics and an EPQ. I plan to pursue law at the uni of manchester. You might me wondering why i chose biology, matter of fact it was just pure interest, i know a lot of universities recognise students who do 1 STEM A level as its quite harder to get an A* in a stem subject. I've been finding biology difficult, i only JUST got my first A* in Immunology after 6 months of the course. The teacher is also a bit of a prick and constantly pushes me to do better which is quite good of him however im struggling to manage my time as all my energy is going into bio and im finding it harder to deal with my other subjects, i can drop it after the mocks in May and then perhaps do an easier subject like business that i can cover in 1 year. I have been getting Ds, Es and Us in biology but i only just improved to an A*.......would love to hear what you all think and if there is a right time to know when to drop a subject.
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2024/09672/llb-law/entry-requirements/#course-profile
Manchester Law requires A*AA, you study english Lit and politics, should already meet the mieet:
‘Applicants must be studying at least one of the following A Level subjects: Law; Accounting; Economics; Finance; Business Studies; Development Studies; Government and Politics; Economic and Social History; Mathematics; Anthropology; Sociology; Philosophy; Religious Studies; English Language; English Literature; Geography; Psychology; Classical Civilisation; History; Archaeology; Communication Studies; Environmental Studies; World Development; Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Modern Languages.’

Regarding the EPQ, ‘Although the Extended Project will not be included in the conditions of your offer, we strongly encourage you to provide information about the EPQ in your personal statement and at interview. A number of our academic Schools may also choose to take your performance in the EPQ into account should places be available in August for applicants who narrowly miss the entry grades for their chosen course.’

Ultimately, aim for A/A* in that third subject, doesnt matter what it is. Personally, I rather you not do the EPQ, and focus on biology, because you are assuming you would finish ‘an easier A level’ within the year. It seems you are doing good in biology now, because of your hard work.

Quick Reply

Latest