The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstance after exam delay

Hey,

A quick question, but today I had my a level English exam and they didn't print off my paper in the right colour (I'm on the autism spectrum so need to read in cream) so my exam was delayed for 35 minutes. Which freaked me out, moreso I think because I can't cope with change and in the paper my mind just blanked and I couldn't stop shaking.

I know there's a chance I didn't do as badly as I think I did, but would this be considered if I get a lower grade? I want to study English at uni and need an A, so if I get anything lower it's going to affect my applications.

Thank you 😊
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by UnknownRhythm
Hey,

A quick question, but today I had my a level English exam and they didn't print off my paper in the right colour (I'm on the autism spectrum so need to read in cream) so my exam was delayed for 35 minutes. Which freaked me out, moreso I think because I can't cope with change and in the paper my mind just blanked and I couldn't stop shaking.

I know there's a chance I didn't do as badly as I think I did, but would this be considered if I get a lower grade? I want to study English at uni and need an A, so if I get anything lower it's going to affect my applications.

Thank you 😊

I think you should talk to your school about "special consideration" (see this document). It's a process which can be applied when "a candidate who has temporarily experienced illness, injury or some other event outside of their control at the time of the assessment." It's implemented in the form of having a few extra percent added to your mark.

There are a load of examples in that document, and it's really not clear which would apply in this circumstance, but at least the lowest rated on would:

minor upset arising from administrative problems (1%);
extreme distress on the day of an examination (not simply exam related stress) (2%);
flare-up of a severe congenital/medical condition or a psychological condition (3%);
serious crisis/incident at the time of the examination (4%).

What you've described doesn't sound like a "serious crisis/incident" (despite how I'm sure it felt at the time), but "minor upset" seems to devalue what you experienced somewhat. It would be up to your school/college to make the application on your behalf, if they felt it was warranted. You'd need to prod them into doing so, though.
Reply 2
Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest