The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

I'm not 100% sure if I was supposed to put this post on the gcse forum or the A-level forum. I just put it here because I want advice from people who have been through the A-levels so it made more sense for me to post it here.

I'm torn between what to pick in my A-levels and it feels like a crisis having to apply in around a couple weeks. I'm planning to go to Runshaw college with the following A-levels: Maths, Computer Science, and not sure about the third. I'm planning to go to Manchester Uni for comp sci and there is absolutely not way in any dimension am I doing a science A-level such as physics or chem. Manchester Uni class comp sci a-level as a science so that's why I chose it despite all the complaints and angry "reviews" of it by people who have taken it, so my first question is, is it really that bad?

My second question is probably obvious but what should I pick for my third choice? was wanting to do Accounting but was worried if it was not respected by Universities and if I would get de-moralised by all the maths going on. Any suggestion on choices would be appreciated (apart from science, unless you can convince me lol)
I'm not entirely aware of your thinking behind what you value as good a level choices but I believe it's important to first choose the a levels that most universities ask for and then the a levels you would find easy to score high marks in to give you the easiest time at sixth form and the best results.

Because you've chosen (although still unsure) maths and computer science, I suggest definitely choosing the last a level as one in the theme of computational thinking and sciences (I don't mean the big three: chemistry, physics and biology but instead the complement to art subjects). I also highly recommend choosing a levels that feed into each other; where they can overlap is extra work you can cut out. Taking two similar a levels I believe feels like taking one and a half a levels however is recognised as separate by universities.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by abdose2341
I'm not 100% sure if I was supposed to put this post on the gcse forum or the A-level forum. I just put it here because I want advice from people who have been through the A-levels so it made more sense for me to post it here.

I'm torn between what to pick in my A-levels and it feels like a crisis having to apply in around a couple weeks. I'm planning to go to Runshaw college with the following A-levels: Maths, Computer Science, and not sure about the third. I'm planning to go to Manchester Uni for comp sci and there is absolutely not way in any dimension am I doing a science A-level such as physics or chem. Manchester Uni class comp sci a-level as a science so that's why I chose it despite all the complaints and angry "reviews" of it by people who have taken it, so my first question is, is it really that bad?

My second question is probably obvious but what should I pick for my third choice? was wanting to do Accounting but was worried if it was not respected by Universities and if I would get de-moralised by all the maths going on. Any suggestion on choices would be appreciated (apart from science, unless you can convince me lol)

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2024/00560/bsc-computer-science/entry-requirements/#course-profile

Check you'll meet the GCSE requirements too.
Reply 3

I’m predicted this already so I think I’ll be fine? Does a 6-5 in combined science count as a 6?
Reply 4
Original post by abdose2341
I’m predicted this already so I think I’ll be fine? Does a 6-5 in combined science count as a 6?

I wouldn't have thought so - check with the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest