The Student Room Group

Should I take 5 A-levels?

I am currently almost at the end of IGCSEs, and am predicted A*s for all 11 subjects. I am indecisive as to my decisions for future career path and university, and I do well in both humanity and essay-based subjects as well as math. I want to keep my options open, but am unsure if I will actually be able to handle the workload. As to the actual subjects, I am planning to choose Maths, Further Maths, History, Physics and Economics. Do you think it is worth it? I am also studying Russian in my free time which is very work-heavy.
No you shouldn't. You don't need more than 4 maximum
Honestly with Maths, FM + one other subject you'll keep most doors open anyway. With 5 subjects you'll probably end up limiting your options by virtue of stretching yourself too thin.
Original post by lila__
I am currently almost at the end of IGCSEs, and am predicted A*s for all 11 subjects. I am indecisive as to my decisions for future career path and university, and I do well in both humanity and essay-based subjects as well as math. I want to keep my options open, but am unsure if I will actually be able to handle the workload. As to the actual subjects, I am planning to choose Maths, Further Maths, History, Physics and Economics. Do you think it is worth it? I am also studying Russian in my free time which is very work-heavy.
Honestly I don't think you should take 5 at all. The work load is huge and therefore really difficult to cope with. I feel as though even taking 4 is a stretch but I see what you mean by wanting to keep your options open so for that reason I am saying 4 max, but I am defiantly not recommending 5 under any circumstances, it will just accumulate and as a result stress you out.
Reply 4
Please don't take 5. The work load for 3 is a lot to handle in itself.
Original post by lila__
No - no one needs more than 3 A levels. If you really want to, you could do 4 but you must remember that AAA will always look better than AABB or AABCC. With 4 or 5, you run a very high risk of complete burn out and spreading yourself too thin.
Original post by lila__

It is much better to focus on doing as best you can with three. For most courses, that's all you'll need. Four at the very max. It's a bit early but maybe look at some uni courses and see if any required combinations keep cropping up. For example, many science courses will want you to have two sciences or maths and a science.
Original post by lila__

As above, there is no benefit in doing so as far as admissions go.

More specifically, out of the options you have listed, A-level Economics is not required for any degree, and A-level History is only required for some degrees. You could easily not take economics and it not change anything, leaving you with four subjects.

Even taking four is unnecessary as unis only require and expect three. But if you enjoy history and want to continue with an essay based subject it's not unreasonable to keep that.

It is unreasonable to also take a fifth subject though - especially one that will not be a factor in admissions to any degree anyway.
Original post by lila__

Don't take 5, take 4 if you want to challenge yourself (I'm also taking 4)

Quick Reply

Latest