The Student Room Group

music a-level without grade 5 theory?

Do I need to have grade 5 theory to do music a level? I'm grade 7 violin, I can sight-sing and I compose quite well, and I'm a huge classical music nerd. My teacher said I should learn some piano to help with the a level but I can only just sight-read basic sheet music on piano. I'm just wondering if my other abilities in music can make up for the fact that I don't have any theory grades. Am I at a significant disadvantage if I don't have grade 5 theory? Would it be difficult to get an A* in music a-level without grade 5 theory?
If you're Grade 7 violin (Trinity, I assume?) then why don't you pick up some theory workbooks and work up to Grade 5 standard yourself? You don't have to do the exam, but if you're interested in music, why wouldn't you want to learn the theory anyway? It will only help at A Level (which, in response to your question, is probably okay without Grade 5 theory, but you'll have to get your head around harmonising Bach chorales, so you might as well do the Grade 5 stuff to give you a solid base).
Reply 2
Original post by SilverPebble
If you're Grade 7 violin (Trinity, I assume?) then why don't you pick up some theory workbooks and work up to Grade 5 standard yourself? You don't have to do the exam, but if you're interested in music, why wouldn't you want to learn the theory anyway? It will only help at A Level (which, in response to your question, is probably okay without Grade 5 theory, but you'll have to get your head around harmonising Bach chorales, so you might as well do the Grade 5 stuff to give you a solid base).

Good idea! Because I can't really be bothered to actually take a theory exam but just learning it outside of exams should be more convenient. I don't think my existing theory knowledge is terrible so grade 5 theory shouldn't be too hard with some effort. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest