The Student Room Group

AQA Spanish Grade boundaries not adding up

This may be a mistake on my behalf, but I am getting very confused with the grade boundaries. For AQA Spanish, you have 4 exams,
Reading (60),
Listening (50),
Writing (60)
Listening (60)
That adds up to 230. But on every "maximum mark" on the AQA Grade boundaries for every year, it says the maximum mark is 240, which is very confusing.
Original post by QaimMB
This may be a mistake on my behalf, but I am getting very confused with the grade boundaries. For AQA Spanish, you have 4 exams,
Reading (60),
Listening (50),
Writing (60)
Listening (60)
That adds up to 230. But on every "maximum mark" on the AQA Grade boundaries for every year, it says the maximum mark is 240, which is very confusing.

Although the Listening component is out of 50 marks (for Higher Tier) and the other components are out of 60 marks (again, for the Higher Tier), all four are worth 25% of the exam. To ensure the components have equal weight, they "scale-up" the Listening component's mark from being out of an actual 50 to being out of a theoretical 60.

As we can see in the specification, they achieve this by multiplying the Listening score by 6/5 (six fifths).

AQA GCSE Spanish - Scaling.PNG
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Although the Listening component is out of 50 marks (for Higher Tier) and the other components are out of 60 marks (again, for the Higher Tier), all four are worth 25% of the exam. To ensure the components have equal weight, they "scale-up" the Listening component's mark from being out of an actual 50 to being out of a theoretical 60.
As we can see in the specification, they achieve this by multiplying the Listening score by 6/5 (six fifths).
AQA GCSE Spanish - Scaling.PNG

You've made it so much clearer. I was so confused as to why there was 2 grade boundaries for some older years but I get it now.
Thank you !
Original post by QaimMB
You've made it so much clearer. I was so confused as to why there was 2 grade boundaries for some older years but I get it now.
Thank you !

You're welcome. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest