The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Mechanical Engineering

Hello,
How intense is the Imperial college mechanical engineering course, so how many hours of lectures and self study on average is needed per week to do well.
Is there any time to participate in other activities such as sport, societies, and maybe even have a part time job?
Reply 1
Original post by Alihdhaj
Hello,
How intense is the Imperial college mechanical engineering course, so how many hours of lectures and self study on average is needed per week to do well.
Is there any time to participate in other activities such as sport, societies, and maybe even have a part time job?

I don't do Mech Eng (CS offer holder for 2024 entry) but when I asked about the rigour of a course on my interview day and whether it would be possible to do a part-time job, many of the first years don't recommend it because of how busy you will be - too much of a time sink and you will be so far behind in your work.

There is time to do stuff outside of the course - there are so many societies that exist with DoCSoc being the best one by far in terms of size and recognition. As far as STEM subjects go, Imperial is on par, if not ever so slightly lower, than Oxbridge (except Maths where Oxbridge excels) so you can expect rigour in the course but to what extent, we'll only know if someone actually there comments like maybe @Sinnoh
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Alihdhaj
Hello,

Yes there is time to participate in other activities - clearly, if people didn't have time, those 400-odd societies wouldn't exist. And students do sometimes have part time jobs - when you're in 3rd and 4th year there might be opportunities for working as a teaching assistant within your department, but there are also casual roles within the students' union.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending