8 History
6 Geography
6 citizenship
6-6 combined science
6 English Lit
5 English Lang (TWO MARKS OFF A 6)
5 math
1 Arabic
I currently studying History Politics and Sociology A-Level. I want to study politics and international relations in the future (hopefully at UCL or KCL) and I think my a-levels would be high enough to get into a school like UCL. I also do the outreach programs K+ and realising opportunities. Considering all this would I still have a good chance of going UCL if I applied even with that 5 in English Lang.
Reply 1
Original post by tearsricochet21
In my GCSE'S I got
8 History
6 Geography
6 citizenship
6-6 combined science
6 English Lit
5 English Lang (TWO MARKS OFF A 6)
5 math
1 Arabic
I currently studying History Politics and Sociology A-Level. I want to study politics and international relations in the future (hopefully at UCL or KCL) and I think my a-levels would be high enough to get into a school like UCL. I also do the outreach programs K+ and realising opportunities. Considering all this would I still have a good chance of going UCL if I applied even with that 5 in English Lang.

Unfortunately, for the UCL Politics and International Relations BSc course, a 6 is required in GCSE English Language and a 4 in Maths. Typically, even if you apply, not meeting the GCSE requirements for your course is likely to end in automatic rejection. Last year, the UCL contextual offer for Politics and International Relations was a 5 in GCSE English Language and Maths, so if you are eligible and the contextual offer for the year you apply remains the same, you wouldn't be rejected on the grounds of not meeting GCSE requirements. If I were you, I'd do some research into contextual offers and see if you're eligible. If not, you may want to reconsider taking the risk of applying to UCL, even if you were 2 marks off a 6. If you are determined to go to UCL, then your best shot is to resit GCSE English Language in November 2024 and try to gain the 6 that you need. Because you were so close to a 6, it's hard to say whether you'll have a good chance or not, so the only thing I can inform you on is the standard process for someone who doesn't meet GCSE requirements.

KCL does not offer a combined Politics and International Relations BSc or BA degree, so you would have to apply for either their International Relations BA course or their Politics BA/BSc course. These courses do not explicitly state a grade requirement, you would not need to attempt to improve your grade. However, both of these courses and the UCL Politics and International Relations course are competitive degrees at competitive universities and you will need good A level grades to get onto the course. UCL requires AAA at A level in any subjects and KCL requires A*AA in any subjects for both courses. I would say that if you're going to apply to these universities, it may help your chances to have predicted A level grades above their standard entry requirements. I've tried my best to give you some more information on this but unfortunately, the only way you can really find the answers you need is by contacting the universities directly to gain clarity in regards to your GCSE situation.

Wishing you the best in your journey!
Original post by bibachu
Unfortunately, for the UCL Politics and International Relations BSc course, a 6 is required in GCSE English Language and a 4 in Maths. Typically, even if you apply, not meeting the GCSE requirements for your course is likely to end in automatic rejection. Last year, the UCL contextual offer for Politics and International Relations was a 5 in GCSE English Language and Maths, so if you are eligible and the contextual offer for the year you apply remains the same, you wouldn't be rejected on the grounds of not meeting GCSE requirements. If I were you, I'd do some research into contextual offers and see if you're eligible. If not, you may want to reconsider taking the risk of applying to UCL, even if you were 2 marks off a 6. If you are determined to go to UCL, then your best shot is to resit GCSE English Language in November 2024 and try to gain the 6 that you need. Because you were so close to a 6, it's hard to say whether you'll have a good chance or not, so the only thing I can inform you on is the standard process for someone who doesn't meet GCSE requirements.
KCL does not offer a combined Politics and International Relations BSc or BA degree, so you would have to apply for either their International Relations BA course or their Politics BA/BSc course. These courses do not explicitly state a grade requirement, you would not need to attempt to improve your grade. However, both of these courses and the UCL Politics and International Relations course are competitive degrees at competitive universities and you will need good A level grades to get onto the course. UCL requires AAA at A level in any subjects and KCL requires A*AA in any subjects for both courses. I would say that if you're going to apply to these universities, it may help your chances to have predicted A level grades above their standard entry requirements. I've tried my best to give you some more information on this but unfortunately, the only way you can really find the answers you need is by contacting the universities directly to gain clarity in regards to your GCSE situation.
Wishing you the best in your journey!

I took the quiz to see if I was eligible for a contextual offer on the UCL website and it said yes, so am I in the clear then? Or should I still worry quite a lot. I'm also in a program which would apparently make all partner universities in the program "additional consideration to my UCAS application" UCL is a university included in this programme. I really don't want to retake English as I feel it would disrupt my A-Level studies but if I need to I rather at least mentally prepare now.
Reply 3
Original post by tearsricochet21
I took the quiz to see if I was eligible for a contextual offer on the UCL website and it said yes, so am I in the clear then? Or should I still worry quite a lot. I'm also in a program which would apparently make all partner universities in the program "additional consideration to my UCAS application" UCL is a university included in this programme. I really don't want to retake English as I feel it would disrupt my A-Level studies but if I need to I rather at least mentally prepare now.

I’m assuming you’re applying for 2025 entry, so you’ll have to wait till the summer when UCL release their contextual grade requirements. I totally understand not wanting to resit due to disruption of studies, as I’ve been in the same boat. If there would be additional consideration applied to your UCAS application, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It seems like UCL would be more than likely to consider you based on that, so I suggest just waiting till the contextual requirements are released and keeping your options open just in case.
Thank you ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest