The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Are my GCSEs enough for top unis

Hi. I want to Major in computer science and for a levels I am taking maths, physics and computer science. Yesterday I received my GCSE results and I got all 6s in every subject including maths and science and English. And I want to apply to a university like UCL. imperial, oxbridge or KCL for computer science. I want to do good in my a levels and get A*A*A and do loads of extracurriculars and work experience but I want to ask will my GCSE disadvantage me?? Are they bad for UCL/oxford/imperial?? I Met the requirements for GCSEs there but the people who study in UCL seem to have higher grades as they are competitive. Please give advice as I am not sure what to do, I really want to study into a UCL mainly and I am planning if my grades are not enough I may retake some subjects like maths to get a higher grade. Do you think I should retake?

The grade boundaries sucked this year and I tried so hard :frown: let me know how I can increase my chances in my dream unis! Advice plz
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Varvicious
Hi. I want to Major in computer science and for a levels I am taking maths, physics and computer science. Yesterday I received my GCSE results and I got all 6s in every subject including maths and science and English. And I want to apply to a university like UCL. imperial, oxbridge or KCL for computer science. I want to do good in my a levels and get A*A*A and do loads of extracurriculars and work experience but I want to ask will my GCSE disadvantage me?? Are they bad for UCL/oxford/imperial?? I Met the requirements for GCSEs there but the people who study in UCL seem to have higher grades as they are competitive. Please give advice as I am not sure what to do, I really want to study into a UCL mainly and I am planning if my grades are not enough I may retake some subjects like maths to get a higher grade. Do you think I should retake?

The grade boundaries sucked this year and I tried so hard :frown: let me know how I can increase my chances in my dream unis! Advice plz

No, your GCSE’s wont limit you. Your A Levels predicted grade, your personal statement, will secure you the offers
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by BankaiGintoki
No, your GCSE’s wont limit you. Your A Levels predicted grade, your personal statement, will secure you the offers

I know but will it help secure in top Unis?
I don’t know much on the subject but I have heard that Oxford barely even look at your gcse grades as long as you’ve passed them
Original post by Anonymous
I don’t know much on the subject but I have heard that Oxford barely even look at your gcse grades as long as you’ve passed them

thank you so much for telling me :smile: where is the source for this?? but thank you it relieves me!
thank you so much for telling me :smile: where is the source for this?? but thank you it relieves me!

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications
Here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data
They look at gcse’s in context
For example, your school’s performance, your neighbourhood (% of people who go to uni in your area)…

its very useful thank you, but do you think i should retake it since it says about competitve unis still
Original post by BankaiGintoki
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications
Here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data
They look at gcse’s in context
For example, your school’s performance, your neighbourhood (% of people who go to uni in your area)…

Lots of people in my area did super mixed, worse than me or some better. Do you think i should retake, or are my grades fine :frown:?
Lots of people in my area did super mixed, worse than me or some better. Do you think i should retake, or are my grades fine :frown:?

What about the computer science course at oxford, UCL, imperial attracts you. For example, the modules, campus… Or are you perhaps only interested in the reputation of the university? Your gcse’s are fine. Your A Level hold more weight and are far more important. Remember your gcse grades are just a small piece in the puzzle.
its very useful thank you, but do you think i should retake it since it says about competitve unis still

I am not qualified to answer that question, I am very sorry
Reply 11

If you really feel you want to retake your GCSEs then I would recommend retaking the ones that are most relevant to the degree you want to do in the future. There is no point in putting yourself under unneeded stress. Also, I may be wrong but I'm pretty certain the overall likelihood of actually getting higher grades in retakes is pretty low and you got a solid pass in all your subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending