The Student Room Group

Easter GCSE revision

It’s almost GCSEs and I am a bit disappointed in my mocks so I really want to try my best in easter to redeem them, but I recently got a chest infection. I don’t know what to do because I am always tired, I have a headache and my breathing is so weird it makes it hard to revise. I’m taking medication but I can’t revise and I really don’t want to fall behind, all my friends have started hardcore revision and I literally can’t sit still for 20 minutes. What should I do?

I want to work on my sciences and maths the most, since I only got 6/7s and I wanted at least 8 :frown: I literally got 58% on my chem mock lol. How can I improve this? I thought i did so well I left that exam thinking I was going to get a 9 😭
I want to go to a grammar school sixth form but my grades are so bad because they want 9s and I have mostly 7s :frown:
Original post by B_____
It’s almost GCSEs and I am a bit disappointed in my mocks so I really want to try my best in easter to redeem them, but I recently got a chest infection. I don’t know what to do because I am always tired, I have a headache and my breathing is so weird it makes it hard to revise. I’m taking medication but I can’t revise and I really don’t want to fall behind, all my friends have started hardcore revision and I literally can’t sit still for 20 minutes. What should I do?
I want to work on my sciences and maths the most, since I only got 6/7s and I wanted at least 8 :frown: I literally got 58% on my chem mock lol. How can I improve this? I thought i did so well I left that exam thinking I was going to get a 9 😭
I want to go to a grammar school sixth form but my grades are so bad because they want 9s and I have mostly 7s :frown:

Hi @B_____,

Sorry to hear that you're sick, I hope my advice will be helpful to you:

For my science subjects, I followed a rigorous routine that worked exceptionally well for me. Post-mocks I tried to identify the topics I needed to revise again and tackled those first. I worked alongside my specification points and used the red, amber, green method and treated it almost as a checklist of topics I've covered and have yet to cover. The specification is so useful because it tells you exactly what you needed to know for your exam. Which diagrams, what definitions, any processes and mechanisms were all stated in the spec points.

I would revise the topic with my textbook, or online resources and use them to refine any notes I've made prior. After refining any notes, I would try the blurting method. You can read up more on blurting here if you're unfamiliar: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl. Finally, with the topic I had just revised, I would put it into practice by attempting topical questions.

Topical questions (or past papers in general) was the most useful revision technique throughout all my subjects as I found that it made me more familiar with the layout, format and type of questions I would expect in my final exams. This helped me prepare a lot for them.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Original post by B_____

Which Grammar requires grade 9s??
It’s very possible to go up a grade or 2 between mocks and the real things. I got all 7/8s in my mocks and got almost all 9s (apart form one 8) in the real things. I wouldn’t worry too much, you definitely don’t need to be doing more than an hour a day of revision over the holidays, and if you do that in 3 20 minute chunks with breaks in between that’s also fine
Hi,

I hope you get better soon because I know how tuff it can be to have a chest infection and honestly overall its just grim.

For the science subjects (and all of them to be honest because this fits every subject) I would say do past papers. A BUNCH OF THEM and then the parts that you have struggeled on or got wrong, go back and use your textbook and/or videos to help understand that topic better. Then after that do more exam questions to really prove that you know it to yourself.

Another thing I would say is if it is really affecting your exams and revision then go to one of your student support teachers and ask them to fill out a special considerations form for you having an illness I think it is normally 3 months prior to the real exam so if that is the case then do ask what they can do for you.

I hope this helps,
Tatakae L :smile:
wow thats really impressive!

do you have tips for sciences because im kinda struggling at the moment
Hey i cant stress this ENOUGH but for sciences i would suggest doing loads of practice papers because trust me if you keep on doing a question / a question you didn't get right you eventually will as it will go into your long term memory. Also going through the CGP books if you do AQA, they really help me.
I would also suggest free science lessons!
Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by fhudsusijshdj
wow thats really impressive!
do you have tips for sciences because im kinda struggling at the moment

Hi, I would suggest the YouTuber Cognito! Also it is very important you practice past paper questions by topic, you can search these on PhysicsMathsTutor. the CGP books are also very good.

Quick Reply

Latest