The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
timeofyourlife
people our age who start gettings things on top of a cold (e.g. chest infection, pneumonia) are likely to be immunosuppressed in some form anyway.

and there's no evidence to suggest that suddenly taking large doses of vit C during a cold will reduce your chances of picking up anything more sinister anyway.

Well I swear it does something, otherwise explain to me why I have not had an illness which has troubled me enough to remember it in the last 5 years??
lessthanthree
I take echinacia when I feel I *might* be getting a cold, and it tends to fight the worst off. I don't take it every day.

I usually only realise I'm getting a cold because I feel absolutely great....I always have a day of feeling fantastic before the sore throat hits for a day and then it zooms in on my nose/sinuses/head.

Unfortunately it's hard to tell the difference between a "I feel good" day and a "I feel good...oh CRAP I'm getting a cold" day.
Reply 22
lessthanthree
there is evidence, it just says you need quite big doses for a little bit of respiratory defence.

Douglas & Chalker "There is a modest, and relatively consistent therapeutic benefit in terms of duration of cold symptoms which can apparently be achieved by ingestion of relatively high doses of vitamin C .

Sure, it's a little benefit, but every little helps.

i'd say that the journal you quoted points more towards there not being a relationship between vit C intake after cold symptoms and recovery.

the bit you quote hasn't got a sufficient sample size or statistical margin for it to be used as decent evidence and is merely one of many recent studies that you can find on medline which are majorly inconclusive.
SciFi25
Well I swear it does something, otherwise explain to me why I have not had an illness which has troubled me enough to remember it in the last 5 years??

Vit C might help ina small small way prevent a cold, but it certainly wont help cure it.
And to the mian poster - you are aware that as forms of 'vit C' intake go, drinking orange juice is about as useful as drinking water? You absorb barely any of it.
You are much better off eating a few oranges if you are that desperate. THere is more absorbably vit C in two EATEN oranges than 5 litres of conc OJ
Reply 24
SciFi25

good immune system? neuroplacebo effect from taking a supplement you believe to be protective..?

i'm not saying people shouldn't take vitamin C when they have a cold, just questioning its actual pharmacological effects.
Reply 25
cheers, no more cheapy orange juice for me
Reply 26
lessthanthree
It doesn't really matter if something's working on a medical level or acting as a placebo for something as minor as a cold.

Either way, the person taking it's going to feel better, and if they attribute feelings of betterness to it, it doesn't really affect anything or anyone.

i agree. i was just saying that it's quite likely that taking a random sugar tablet in a vitamin C box (thinking it was Vit C) would be likely to have the same effect.

i even take it myself when i have a cold, although i may have just dashed any possible placebo with my mind :redface:
Reply 27
timeofyourlife
good immune system? neuroplacebo effect from taking a supplement you believe to be protective..?

i'm not saying people shouldn't take vitamin C when they have a cold, just questioning its actual pharmacological effects.

Good immune system! I never get anything which does the rounds. Hell when I was little my mum kept sending me round to childrens houses with chickenpox so I would catch it, it took her fouteen tries before I caught it and even that was over in under a week!! :biggrin:
Reply 28
SciFi25
Good immune system! I never get anything which does the rounds. Hell when I was little my mum kept sending me round to childrens houses with chickenpox so I would catch it, it took her fouteen tries before I caught it and even that was over in under a week!! :biggrin:

i'm going to let my future kids roll around in the mud outside, it's always the toddlers with the super clean-living mums who get the most colds when they're older

Edit: saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if they rolled straight onto a used needle riddled with HIV as a consequence of my smarminess.

Edit 2: ...not that i hope to live somewhere with used needles in the garden when i'm older :biggrin:
Reply 29
timeofyourlife
i'm going to let my future kids roll around in the mud outside, it's always the toddlers with the super clean-living mums who get the most colds when they're older

Edit: saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if they rolled straight onto a used needle riddled with HIV as a consequence of my smarminess.

Edit 2: ...not that i hope to live somewhere with used needles in the garden when i'm older :biggrin:

I agree with you on that one, I think this sterilisation thing has gone a bit too far. Without giving your immune system the chance to practise when your young your gonna be one sickly adult. Vaccinations, fine. Sweeping/dusting, cool. Antibacterial cleaners, whats the point?? Bleach works just as well and wont build resistance in bacteria. My parents let me do anything as a child, eat this, eat that, go into the dirtyest places possible. I thank them, I think it has caused my great immune system!
timeofyourlife

if only - I was a filthy child :biggrin: and my mum has always said that life is too short for dusting....I still get far to many colds :frown: (although it was worse when I was younger)

*crappy immune system*
Reply 31
PQ
if only - I was a filthy child :biggrin: and my mum has always said that life is too short for dusting....I still get far to many colds :frown: (although it was worse when I was younger)

*crappy immune system*

PQ - the exception to the rule :wink:
timeofyourlife
PQ - the exception to the rule :wink:

Always :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 33
PQ
Always :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well its not always a bad thing to be, exept in this case. mmm. Ill get my coat. :creep:
Reply 34
SciFi25
Go for a long long run or sweat it out. Works for me and I have never suffered more than the beginnings of a cold for years.

Hmmm, you shouldn't really exert yourself when you have a fever/cold etc. because it can lead to quite serious complications in some cases!!
Reply 35
Have lots of ice cream. The coldness numbs a sore throat and stops the nose from running. While you're eating it, you forget you have a cold.

I avoid all medicines as they make me feel worse.
MattG
ok, what is the quickest most effective way to destroy the buggers!

i cant taste a thing and i'm coughing everywhere! :hmpf:

i've taken ibuprofen, drinking lots of orange juice (i'm on my third big carton) and lots of water too...
Garlic and Echinacea capsules - have you tried those? Apparently they're supposed to be good - I dunno, I haven't had a cold in ages, lol.

Try it and see if it works,

Luv Danni x
Reply 37
heminder
my mum makeses that... i always seem to need the loo really bad after 10 minutes of drinking it... it's dangerous stuff you know... recipee for destruction of your inner gut...

well its not exactly dangerous..it just makes your blood pressure increase rapidly..that's why you need to sit down when you're drinkin it : )

it's not good for people with heart disorders though..
Nuclear weapons destroy colds. They make you too dead to feel them :smile:
Reply 39
Iluvatar
Nuclear weapons destroy colds. They make you too dead to feel them :smile:

thats so cruel! :eek: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending