The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think its about bloody time!
Reply 2
yawn
I posted this originally in 'General Chat' but feel it is more appropriate to 'Debate' due to the expertise of the usual forum debaters! :smile:

What are your first reactions? Do you think the marriage will cause a public outrage leading to a constitutional crises?

I personally don't care if they get married or not...and if they do marry, why shouldn't Camilla become queen when Charles takes the throne? The royal family are only really a tourist attraction these days anyway, so it doesn't really matter IMO.
Reply 3
she mings
I don't think that it would be possible for me to care any less about this.
Like me and hunting. But if you don't care, why post saying so?

I don't see the problem. I don't approve of Edward VIII being forced to abdicate for the same reasons, but I suppose British society was less liberal then. Nowadays? I think only hard-line moral or religious (by which I mean mainly Christian) conservatives would object. I think the royal family are still more than 'just a tourist attraction', but they need to be seen to be 'modern' and 'broadminded'. Not that it would be a big deal with any other family.
yawn
What are your first reactions?

Good for them.
yawn
Do you think the marriage will cause a public outrage leading to a constitutional crises?

Doubtless there will be some fools moaning about it but i dont think there will be as much 'outrage' as might be predicted.
Reply 7
I think that it is great, if they love each other why shouldn't they get married. I don't see why she shouldn't be queen if Charles is king really.
Reply 8
yawn
Do you think the marriage will cause a public outrage leading to a constitutional crises?

Erm,.....not exactly. Some will line the streets and cheer, an equal number will moan about wasting taxpayers money, but most I suspect really couldn't care less. I doubt the establishment will come crashing down after a lengthy civil war. :rolleyes:
Agent Smith
Like me and hunting. But if you don't care, why post saying so?

Because thinking something is of no relevance is a relevant point of view. :smile:
Reply 10
Quiksilver
she mings

An utter boiler I'd say.
Howard
An utter boiler I'd say.

Id say thats a bit harsh! Shes no Diana to be sure but shes hardly Jackie Stallone either.
Reply 12
an Siarach
Id say thats a bit harsh! Shes no Diana to be sure but shes hardly Jackie Stallone either.

She's better looking than Wallis Simpson.
Reply 13
Howard
An utter boiler I'd say.

She's in her 50's for god's sake, cut her some slack, and Diana was 12 yrs younger than Charles anyway.

I think it's good they are getting married and don't really care if she is Queen or not.

I think we should keep the royal family - always need someone to open the odd museum or supermarket! :smile:
why did he lov camilla and not diana? why would anyone have an affair with someone older and less attractive than the other?

its immoral and wrong all divorce should be illegal and remarriges ashould be void
Reply 15
magiccarpet
why did he lov camilla and not diana? why would anyone have an affair with someone older and less attractive than the other?

Cause he just loved Camilla and looks arent everything if there isnt enough personality to substaniate them.

magiccarpet
its immoral and wrong all divorce should be illegal and remarriges ashould be void

I'd say forcing someone to stay in a loveless marriage or with someone who is cheating on you is immoral. Divorce is a neccessary part of life and although couples should try to save their marriage, if there is no love it cant work.
sorry 4 the stupid question but....

y will she not become queen?

i.e. current queen dies
Charles is king
He is married to Camilla so she is queen
Reply 17
piemonster411
sorry 4 the stupid question but....

y will she not become queen?

i.e. current queen dies
Charles is king
He is married to Camilla so she is queen

I assume for the same reason that Phillip isnt king phillip but the duke of edinburgh
Reply 18
They clearly love each other, that alone passes for me. Also, it's well known that the marriage between the Prince of Wales and Diana Spencer was as much political as it was emotional; Camilla has been Charles' prefered partner for the last 35 years.

Otherwise, I couldn't care less.
Reply 19
Howard
An utter boiler I'd say.

Right? And what is he - some kind of Adonis?
He and she were young 'lovers' at Cambridge.

Excuse me, while I rush out to use the sick bucket.
(I always keep it handy due to my excessive cynicism.)

Latest

Trending

Trending