The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
I don't know a lot about the music course but i've heard that it's gone quite downhill of late. I know that there is aquite an emphasis on period performance in the department which considering most opinions on aesthetics these days is just out of date.

MB
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
musicboy
I don't know a lot about the music course but i've heard that it's gone quite downhill of late. I know that there is aquite an emphasis on period performance in the department which considering most opinions on aesthetics these days is just out of date.

MB

On the contrary, the Music department is one of the best in the country - it has the prestigious 6* research rating! There's a wide range of courses on offer, and as a Music student there I can assure you the teaching is very good too, and the opportunities for all kinds of performance are fantastic. I honestly don't know where you got the period performance from - as far as I know there isn't an early music group at all! (In fact I rather wish there was...) Maybe you're thinking about the gamelan orchestra or the Andean band?

Edit: Personally I'm in the Symphony, Chamber and String orchestras - I prefer more ordinary performance to world music...
Reply 3
kew96158
On the contrary, the Music department is one of the best in the country - it has the prestigious 6* research rating! There's a wide range of courses on offer, and as a Music student there I can assure you the teaching is very good too, and the opportunities for all kinds of performance are fantastic. I honestly don't know where you got the period performance from - as far as I know there isn't an early music group at all! (In fact I rather wish there was...) Maybe you're thinking about the gamelan orchestra or the Andean band?

Edit: Personally I'm in the Symphony, Chamber and String orchestras - I prefer more ordinary performance to world music...

Thanks very much for your help - what year are you in at the moment? The gamelan orchestra sounds interesting - do you take part in that? Sorry for all the questions I'd just really like to get a picture of the department! I've heard mixed things about it so it's good to hear from someone who's actually there. :smile:
Reply 4
Oh, and thanks for your comments too musicboy - which music departments do you consider good? What about Goldsmiths? I know the reputation of the university as a whole isn't that great but isn't the department meant to be good? I also have an offer from Southampton which I've heard is good - do you know anything about that? Thanks
Reply 5
megan18
Thanks very much for your help - what year are you in at the moment? The gamelan orchestra sounds interesting - do you take part in that? Sorry for all the questions I'd just really like to get a picture of the department! I've heard mixed things about it so it's good to hear from someone who's actually there. :smile:

I'm in the 2nd year, doing joint honours History and Music. No I don't do Gamelan orchestra, as I'm not really into world music to be honest. There are loads of other music groups though, if like me you fancy something a bit more conventional. I don't think you have to audition to get into all of them, though obviously you do have to audition for the highest-standard groups.

What kind of mixed things have you been hearing about the department??? Because I honestly can't think of a single negative thing about it (other than I wish there was an early music group...)

I think the RHUL music department is about the same standard as Southampton's, and slightly better than Goldsmiths.
Reply 6
I've heard that the facilities aren't great and that the department building itself appears to be a bit of an after thought . . although I don't necessarily believe this, just what I've heard!
But it does seem to have a good reputation so I'm definately going to come and look round. My first study is piano, but I play the violin and I love singing in choirs - is there much in the way of choirs at Holloway?
Thanks for answering all my questions!

Oh, and what do you think of the social life of the university in general? People say it's not very good but surely anywhere where there's a load of students is going to be a laugh?! :smile:
Reply 7
Wasn't amazingly impressed with the tour that I took of the Music department, but apparently the guide didn’t have the keys to any of the interesting rooms, shame really!

Outside - Building looks great!
Inside - Erm....
Reply 8
megan18
I've heard that the facilities aren't great and that the department building itself appears to be a bit of an after thought . . although I don't necessarily believe this, just what I've heard!
But it does seem to have a good reputation so I'm definately going to come and look round. My first study is piano, but I play the violin and I love singing in choirs - is there much in the way of choirs at Holloway?

The facilities are great, so you don't need to worry about that! And the atmosphere is great, too. Judging from the architecture, I'd say the department building dates back to when the College was founded (ie. late Victorian times), so though the staircases are a little narrow, it just adds to its charm (in my eyes!)

Yep, there's plenty of choirs here at RHUL, including the Chapel Choir, Chamber Choir, University Chorus, Gospel Choir and a couple of others I've forgotten.

Oh, and what do you think of the social life of the university in general? People say it's not very good but surely anywhere where there's a load of students is going to be a laugh?!

Got it in one! Yes, there isn't as much nightlife as if you were in a big city like Manchester, but a place with thousands of students within a couple of square miles isn't going to be dull! Join clubs/societies and you'll be fine, though there's still fun to be had even if you don't! :wink:
kew96158

Got it in one! Yes, there isn't as much nightlife as if you were in a big city like Manchester, but a place with thousands of students within a couple of square miles isn't going to be dull! Join clubs/societies and you'll be fine, though there's still fun to be had even if you don't! :wink:

I think the most impressive aspect of RHUL is the strong community spirit. I love the fact faces start to become slightly familiar (as opposed to seeing a multitude of different faces and never seeing them again) and you have friends across all years that is always a good thing makes looking for houses easier. Hehehe

Latest

Trending

Trending