The Student Room Group

Rothschild Gap Year Scheme - A few questions that are not answered on the site!

Scroll to see replies

mcl
thanks for the pm very helpful again :biggrin:
just one quick thing sorry!
i'm being interviewed for the information centre... is this still good? and is it a good insight into IB?
sorry for all the questions i didnt realise it was for the info centre when i wrote to you :biggrin:

Its still good, but not the best scheme (as a whole, regardless of if your working within Rothschild IB or Information Services) into IB as stated - DB is much more prestigious. Still, its better than nothing and is something to put down on your CV etc.
mcl
how do you know the scheme isn't very good??
Lots have people have said it has been really insightful, and my teacher who knows alot about these things said it's a great opportunity...
plus how do even apply for DB, it's only for select schools.. which appear to be London private schools, therefore rothschild is the only accessible one

I didn't say it was a poor scheme - but DB is a much more prestigious name, and the scheme is also in actual front-office (whereas the Information Centre and indeed the sub-division others shall be working within IBD are not FO). Whether you enjoy the experience is a subjective thing - for every 10 people who hate it, I assume there another 10 who love it.

My point is that DB is the best scheme to get into IB as its more prestigious (and directly related) and is proper FO.
Reply 62
what is the criteria to apply for the db scheme?
There isn't any I think - although judging by the above response(s), you may have to be at a top private school :s-smilie:

The application form we had to fill-in from the headmaster contained all the usual kind of stuff - i.e. competency questions, personal info etc. Deadline has passed now so your too late anyway.
Reply 64
I am at a top private school but not in London
Which one though? You can't be at any top private school as it varies - I know friends as I said who go to St Pauls etc but havn't heard about the scheme, but then Harrow and Eton etc have :/

PM me if you wan't to remain annon. You've missed the deadline by like 2 months now anyway (they've just finished the 2nd round interviews this week), but its a more prestigious, more related and better paying scheme than Rothschild. I thought there might be others who may have applied here though and hence my post - looks like I grossly overestimated the reach of TSR (I thought pretty much every student from at least some school was on here haha!).
Reply 66
what is the pay for the Rothschild gap year scheme?
I haven't received any e-mail from them yet. Should I email them and ask about my position?
Reply 68
anyone know the pay for the gap year?
Reply 69
manchild007
Which one though? You can't be at any top private school as it varies - I know friends as I said who go to St Pauls etc but havn't heard about the scheme, but then Harrow and Eton etc have :/

PM me if you wan't to remain annon. You've missed the deadline by like 2 months now anyway (they've just finished the 2nd round interviews this week), but its a more prestigious, more related and better paying scheme than Rothschild. I thought there might be others who may have applied here though and hence my post - looks like I grossly overestimated the reach of TSR (I thought pretty much every student from at least some school was on here haha!).

Thought i had better put a good word in for Roths.

Of the interns taken onto the scheme half are in IB i.e proper FO.
Rothschild is a very prestigious brand name - perhaps more so than DB in the eyes of older generations
It is small and you get a lot of exposure to senior bankers therefore you have a strong network of contacts on leaving
Dont know what DB pays but I saved enough from Rothschild to fund 5 months travelling even with the costs of living in London.
Reply 70
ttt22
Thought i had better put a good word in for Roths.

Of the interns taken onto the scheme half are in IB i.e proper FO.
Rothschild is a very prestigious brand name - perhaps more so than DB in the eyes of older generations
It is small and you get a lot of exposure to senior bankers therefore you have a strong network of contacts on leaving
Dont know what DB pays but I saved enough from Rothschild to fund 5 months travelling even with the costs of living in London.

I have an interview with Rothschild next week in the IB division. Is it real FO then and not too much admin work? How was your experience with Rothschild? Do they allocate you which branch of IB you work in (i.e. M&A, debt advisory and restructuring, equity advisory) or is it the applicant's choice once they receive the offer like at Deloitte? I have an offer at Deloitte as well. Which the better placement in your opinion?
Rothschild gap year scheme is ******** work. That said, sample size = 1. Had a friend who did it. Awful.
Reply 72
dman123
I have an interview with Rothschild next week in the IB division. Is it real FO then and not too much admin work? How was your experience with Rothschild? Do they allocate you which branch of IB you work in (i.e. M&A, debt advisory and restructuring, equity advisory) or is it the applicant's choice once they receive the offer like at Deloitte? I have an offer at Deloitte as well. Which the better placement in your opinion?

Quite a lot of the work is pretty basic(ie profiling of companies, basic accounting) but some of it is really interesting i.e modelling, new leads analysis. I got out of office a fair bit including to a debt conference at the Dorcheser hotel, breakfasts in mayfair and a few events at Reuters in Canary Wharf. At these I would usually shadow a senior banker(but would sometimes be alone) and end up chatting to some fairly high powered ppl about restructuring/distressed debt investing- you cant get much better FO work than that! However dont base your decision on my expereince because i think I got the most client exposure out of the interns in my batch.
They place you in a team, but im sure you could state a preference-but not every team takes an intern
I have friends who did KPMG and Deloitte and I had a place on KPMG's scheme before i was offered roths. They all seemed to enjoy their time, although i think the experience in the london office is considerably better than the regional offices. you will probably get a fair bit of travel(possibly even to Europe) and probably more intesting work initially with Deloitte. It is also a more structured process and should lead to a job offer while at rothschild your pretty much put in a team and thats it - if you work hard/effectively then you do well. One point with deloitte is you are commited to work in uni summer holidays whcih means you cant do a summer internship in IB which is the main entry route. In my lowly opinion i would say that if you are looking at accountancy/consultancy in the long term go with deloitte, if you are looking at IB, fund management etc go with Rothschild. Hope this helps!
Reply 73
I've heard nothing and it's now April, time for me to email them!
Reply 74
ttt22
Quite a lot of the work is pretty basic(ie profiling of companies, basic accounting) but some of it is really interesting i.e modelling, new leads analysis. I got out of office a fair bit including to a debt conference at the Dorcheser hotel, breakfasts in mayfair and a few events at Reuters in Canary Wharf. At these I would usually shadow a senior banker(but would sometimes be alone) and end up chatting to some fairly high powered ppl about restructuring/distressed debt investing- you cant get much better FO work than that! However dont base your decision on my expereince because i think I got the most client exposure out of the interns in my batch.
They place you in a team, but im sure you could state a preference-but not every team takes an intern
I have friends who did KPMG and Deloitte and I had a place on KPMG's scheme before i was offered roths. They all seemed to enjoy their time, although i think the experience in the london office is considerably better than the regional offices. you will probably get a fair bit of travel(possibly even to Europe) and probably more intesting work initially with Deloitte. It is also a more structured process and should lead to a job offer while at rothschild your pretty much put in a team and thats it - if you work hard/effectively then you do well. One point with deloitte is you are commited to work in uni summer holidays whcih means you cant do a summer internship in IB which is the main entry route. In my lowly opinion i would say that if you are looking at accountancy/consultancy in the long term go with deloitte, if you are looking at IB, fund management etc go with Rothschild. Hope this helps!

Many thanks for your reply. Is it possible to do the placement in M&A because that is what I am particularly interested in? I have been offered a place with Deloitte in London, and should be assigned to Consulting. However, I wish to work in IB definitely in the future or fund management is another alternative. Is it not possible to do the four week work placements at Deloitte during the Christmas and Easter, and I have heard that you can cancel your contract (and thus not be sponsored at uni any longer) at any time to go and do internship. Is that true? I was hoping to do Deloitte until end of Feb which is when they said it would end, and then Rothschild from March. I know that Rothschild do not give you any sort of job offer for the future, but do many placement students go and work for them in the future? What is the pay at Rothschild for the placement and the approximate working hours because I live on the outskirts of London?
Could you please PM me with some of the possible interview questions they may ask for the IB division at Rothschild?
Reply 75
dman123
Many thanks for your reply. Is it possible to do the placement in M&A because that is what I am particularly interested in? I have been offered a place with Deloitte in London, and should be assigned to Consulting. However, I wish to work in IB definitely in the future or fund management is another alternative. Is it not possible to do the four week work placements at Deloitte during the Christmas and Easter, and I have heard that you can cancel your contract (and thus not be sponsored at uni any longer) at any time to go and do internship. Is that true? I was hoping to do Deloitte until end of Feb which is when they said it would end, and then Rothschild from March. I know that Rothschild do not give you any sort of job offer for the future, but do many placement students go and work for them in the future? What is the pay at Rothschild for the placement and the approximate working hours because I live on the outskirts of London?
Could you please PM me with some of the possible interview questions they may ask for the IB division at Rothschild?

Pmed you about most of that stuff, not allowed to disclose interview/pay so im afraid you will have to wait and see :P
Reply 76
ttt22
Pmed you about most of that stuff, not allowed to disclose interview/pay so im afraid you will have to wait and see :P

Yeh I understand. I have replied to your PM. I hope pay is good enough so that I can afford to stay in London.
Reply 77
ttt22

Is there a lot of work on weekends as well or is it just long weekdays?
Reply 78
Have people's interviews been rearranged due to the train stirke?
Reply 79
PGtips92
Have people's interviews been rearranged due to the train stirke?

train strikes have been cancelled so what is happening?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending