The Student Room Group

Successful year 13 plan

Hii
I’m currently in year thirteen and I was wondering if someone else that’s in year 13 has had a successful year in terms of grades. I want to know how you do it 😭 like I study for HOURS and it’s not paying off. Do u guys have a timetable for studying that is actually effective maybe? Or is it the way you learn the content? Lmk!
Reply 1
Original post by Akkot
Hii
I’m currently in year thirteen and I was wondering if someone else that’s in year 13 has had a successful year in terms of grades. I want to know how you do it 😭 like I study for HOURS and it’s not paying off. Do u guys have a timetable for studying that is actually effective maybe? Or is it the way you learn the content? Lmk!

Hii,
I’m currently in year 13 too and I may not be the best to answer this atm but I used to have the exact same problem in year 12, so I understand what its like😭 but I’ve changed my revision techniques a lot since then and it seems to be working, first of all identify allll the topics that you need extra work on (start with year 12 because this often builds the foundation of most of your knowledge) and do this in various methods, for eg I prefer using flash cards for pysch but for my other subjects I prefer blurting or making notes, and then exam practise is key to boosting your grades!!!
Reply 2
Original post by reneee603
Hii,
I’m currently in year 13 too and I may not be the best to answer this atm but I used to have the exact same problem in year 12, so I understand what its like* but I’ve changed my revision techniques a lot since then and it seems to be working, first of all identify allll the topics that you need extra work on (start with year 12 because this often builds the foundation of most of your knowledge) and do this in various methods, for eg I prefer using flash cards for pysch but for my other subjects I prefer blurting or making notes, and then exam practise is key to boosting your grades!!!

omgg thank you so muchhh, it’s so frustrating that i’m spending so much time for it to not pay off yk * and it’s extra stressful now that our exams are near and i’m still nowhere close the grades i’m expecting to get. but oh well this is motivation to do better😔✊🏼
THANK YOU QUEEN OR KING
Reply 3
Original post by Akkot
Hii

also if you're on a time crunch and don't have time to 'revise' content do exam paper!! its kinda like a 2 in 1 because ur practising exam technique whilst also learning.
Reply 4
Original post by Akkot
omgg thank you so muchhh, it’s so frustrating that i’m spending so much time for it to not pay off yk * and it’s extra stressful now that our exams are near and i’m still nowhere close the grades i’m expecting to get. but oh well this is motivation to do better😔✊🏼
THANK YOU QUEEN OR KING

no worries at alll!! i get this is a stressful time but also remember that hours don't guarantee the top grades, its about how you revise not how much! good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by ethmi r
also if you're on a time crunch and don't have time to 'revise' content do exam paper!! its kinda like a 2 in 1 because ur practising exam technique whilst also learning.

yeah that is smart icl. but i feel like it’s not worth right now tho, cause we haven’t done the whole year thirteen content yet so like it takes time to go through every paper and find questions for specific topics.
Reply 6
Original post by reneee603
no worries at alll!! I get this is a stressful time but also remember that hours don't guarantee the top grades, its about how you revise not how much! Good luck!

thank youuuu good luck to u too!
Reply 7
Original post by Akkot
Hii

In my end of year exams in year 12 I got DDC, I finished year 13 this year with three A’s so hopefully I can provide some useful information by telling you what I did:

- Use shortened textbooks to learn; read them through and answer the unit questions (needtoknow series)

- Make flash cards and memorise them, I found flash cards really useful for things such as economics graphs and business models / theories. Also, for religious studies I would chunk information together into flash cards and have three related questions labelled XYZ which I would answer in one go.

- Practice papers are the most important revision tool, however you really need to make sure you are using mark schemes to make sure you are benefitting from them. Use the mark schemes to identify both knowledge gaps (learn everything you don’t know) and technique mistakes

- Learn how to structure your answers, there are loads of YouTube videos on this and it’s the most important advice for efficiency

- When you’re sitting in class write questions down that you will answer in your free time, this is just beneficial for building subject knowledge and makes you think about what you’re learning

Right now you have a long time, however it does go quickly so my advice is to be consistent and use everything - you’re revision should be three dimensional. What I mean by this is when you study you should let your study tools feed off of one another, for example, you should take a past paper and mark it then if you find something in the mark scheme that you didn’t know then use your textbook to find what it means, you should then add that to flash cards so that you memorise it for future reference.

Finally, focus on your weakness by tracking test scores and putting more effort into papers which you perform worst on.

After a while your practice papers should be very aligned to the corresponding mark scheme and this is where I’d rely on teacher feedback to improve further.

Just try to be as efficient as possible
Reply 8
woww that is veryyyy helpful thank you so muchh!!!
Reply 9
Original post by Akkot
yeah that is smart icl. but i feel like it’s not worth right now tho, cause we haven’t done the whole year thirteen content yet so like it takes time to go through every paper and find questions for specific topics.

i do stem subjects so i know PMT is really good and has topic specific questions so check them out. if you do maths I have a few resources for that
Reply 10
Original post by ethmi r
i do stem subjects so i know PMT is really good and has topic specific questions so check them out. if you do maths I have a few resources for that

i dont do maths, but would u mind posting the resources so anyone that needs help and comes across this can use it :smile: ?

also i use PMT its hella useful for when I finish revising a topic
Reply 11
Original post by Akkot
i dont do maths, but would u mind posting the resources so anyone that needs help and comes across this can use it :smile: ?

also i use PMT its hella useful for when I finish revising a topic

sure, madasmaths also has a ton of questions, TLmaths for videos, mathsgenie and dr frost maths:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ethmi r
sure, madasmaths also has a ton of questions, TLmaths for videos, mathsgenie and dr frost maths:smile:

legend tysm

Quick Reply

Latest