The Student Room Group

Gcse science help

Hiya,

How could I gain more marks in science? I do triple science edexcel and I want an 8/9 in all of them. I use the mark scheme past papers etc. I know my problem is either lack of content/keywords. Sometimes it is just lack knowledge so I know to revise that. But for making sure I include relevant info in my asnwer how can I do that?

Mark schemes help point it out but I always lose a lot of marks because of key vocab. What should I do?

Thank you xx
Original post by Trickia
Hiya,
How could I gain more marks in science? I do triple science edexcel and I want an 8/9 in all of them. I use the mark scheme past papers etc. I know my problem is either lack of content/keywords. Sometimes it is just lack knowledge so I know to revise that. But for making sure I include relevant info in my asnwer how can I do that?
Mark schemes help point it out but I always lose a lot of marks because of key vocab. What should I do?
Thank you xx
I got all 9s in my sciences last year, I'd definitely recommend getting the CGP books if you don't have them, reading through them and writing down the things you don't know/aren't confident on. At least then you know where the gaps in your knowledge are and can work from there.

For answering questions obviously as you said reading the mark scheme is helpful to find out what keywords you're missing, but also in the CGP books the most useful keywords are highlighted which is useful. I don't know how good this advice is but if I came to a question and I wasn't too sure what the marks were awarded for I'd just blurt out as much as I could to answer it cause you can't be penalised for writing too much as long as it's all correct, which could make up for some missing terminology/points.
Reply 2
Original post by auroraflight
I got all 9s in my sciences last year, I'd definitely recommend getting the CGP books if you don't have them, reading through them and writing down the things you don't know/aren't confident on. At least then you know where the gaps in your knowledge are and can work from there.
For answering questions obviously as you said reading the mark scheme is helpful to find out what keywords you're missing, but also in the CGP books the most useful keywords are highlighted which is useful. I don't know how good this advice is but if I came to a question and I wasn't too sure what the marks were awarded for I'd just blurt out as much as I could to answer it cause you can't be penalised for writing too much as long as it's all correct, which could make up for some missing terminology/points.

Oh okay yea got it thank you xx
I do have the cgp books👍
Original post by Trickia
Hiya,
Thank you xx

I got 9s in all my GCSE sciences. What I did was I went through each of the CGP books and I would read a page or two and then make notes without looking at the book and try to get as much detail as I could.

I also did all the past papers I could find on my specification.

I also went through each of the specifications and made sure I knew each point on it without help from my notes - the specification is really helpful because it's all the content you could possibly need to know for the exam.

Good luck! It sounds like you're good on practice of exam technique so if it's not too confusing I would really recommend looking at the specification.
Reply 4
Original post by spooky541
I got 9s in all my GCSE sciences. What I did was I went through each of the CGP books and I would read a page or two and then make notes without looking at the book and try to get as much detail as I could.
I also did all the past papers I could find on my specification.
I also went through each of the specifications and made sure I knew each point on it without help from my notes - the specification is really helpful because it's all the content you could possibly need to know for the exam.
Good luck! It sounds like you're good on practice of exam technique so if it's not too confusing I would really recommend looking at the specification.

Yea I have looked at the spec before so looking again won't hurt ty xx
Original post by Trickia
Yea I have looked at the spec before so looking again won't hurt ty xx

For including relevant info in my answers I can't lie I just practiced doing them fast enough that I could write answers which included everything examiners could possibly want 😅
Reply 6
Original post by spooky541
For including relevant info in my answers I can't lie I just practiced doing them fast enough that I could write answers which included everything examiners could possibly want 😅

I always seem to miss that out somehow - especially in biology😭

Quick Reply

Latest