The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jawa
Scottish, Irish, etc ....they never seem to be part of the Kingdom whether in political, economical or cultural terms.

How do you mean? You can only define Britishness and the United Kingdom in reference to the cultures of all the parts of it. Of course Scotland, Ireland and Wales are - in some ways - distinctive from England. So what? Britain and England are not interchangeable concepts.

Anyway, the idea that Scotland and Northern Ireland are somehow culturally or economically particularly distinctive is simply false to my view.

zjohn
scottish althought they wanna be seperate are only too happy to accept our taxes from england

Well, thanks for that bit of Daily Mail bigotry. But it's a load of ****. The last financial year recorded, Scotland was the only part of the UK producing a tax surplus.

And no, the majority of Scottish people do not want to be separate - indeed, the vast majority. Scotland is in the same situation it has always been: people want decentralisation, not separation.
lankymanky
The answer is easily no considering that many Scots want independence from the UK.

Scottish independence has more support in England tbh. About time the English stuck two fingers up.
Reply 22
Danielle89
There will be no United kingdon as long as the english see themselves as the leader of the nation...

I don't think they ever have.

lankymanky
The answer is easily no considering that many Scots want independence from the UK.

Virtually every country of any size has secessionist movements. Thankfully separatists will never be the majority here.

Symbea
You scots have this theory that we think we're better than you, truth is that we often forget you're there. You guys get worked up over a country that often has no opinion on you.

Over the last couple of years, the tabloids have stoked up a ridiculous hostility against Scottish things. I don't give a toss about much of the rest of Scotland never mind England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but I'm still a strong believer in the unity of this country.
L i b
Scotland is in the same situation it has always been: people want decentralisation, not separation.

I do wonder to what extent this belief is throughout the country as a whole. You will only find academic literature focusing on Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and, to a lesser extent, Cornwall. No doubt some chum will point out the North East had their chance to have an elected assembly but what got into their minds that people from County Durham want to associate themselves with Northumberland I don't know. We are more different to each other than London-based politicians realise. Besides, their flag fails.
Reply 24
Danielle89
There will be no United kingdon as long as the english see themselves as the leader of the nation...

:ditto: institutions such as the BBC concentrate on London, pay a bit of attention to the rest of the South, seldom venture up North, and completely ignore Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Reply 25
The God Of New World
NO!

If you are born in Wales... You are Welsh and have your culture.
If you are born in Ireland... You are Irish and ^.
If you are born in Scotland... You are Scottish and ^.
Now if you are born in England... you are "British".

Speak for yourself. I am British; I also happen to be Scottish, along with a whole host of other identities you can label, but that's not my nationality. I am also offended by the ridiculous quotation marks you have put around British.

The overwhelming majority of Scottish and Welsh people consider themselves both British and holding their local identities, not that their identities somehow exclude others.

Nationalism is dark-ages nonsense. And I hate to say it, but English nationalism - which seems to be what you're preaching - is, in my experience, the most unpleasant variety to be found on this island.
Reply 26
tommm
:ditto: institutions such as the BBC concentrate on London, pay a bit of attention to the rest of the South, seldom venture up North, and completely ignore Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

That's not anything specifically English though, it's London-centricism. The vast majority of English people do not live in London, and people from the North, and indeed virtually any area outside the South-east are equally marginalised by that.

At least the Scottish, Welsh and Irish have their own departments of state representing their interests in cabinet, and their own devolved institutions. The rest of England has nothing even remotely similar.
Reply 27
Danielle89

Gordon Brown would disagree.
mfm89
Gordon Brown would disagree.

na, the dumbass has been highjacked by the english :wink:
Reply 29
Danielle89

over 80% of the population are English - it's unavoidable.
Reply 30
L i b
That's not anything specifically English though, it's London-centricism. The vast majority of English people do not live in London, and people from the North, and indeed virtually any area outside the South-east are equally marginalised by that.

At least the Scottish, Welsh and Irish have their own departments of state representing their interests in cabinet, and their own devolved institutions. The rest of England has nothing even remotely similar.

and to be fair have democratically rejected the chance to have something similar. I think the regional assemblies were a terrible idea - the English parliament however, if that is to be the eventual solution to the WL Question which the English demand - should be based in an English provincial city (please god not Birmingham!)
you get so many people saying that the Scotish want independence, havent they got thier own parliment what else do they need? freedom from a monarchy that doesnt do anything? This is stupid i bet the majority are not botherd and dont give a monkeys. we are one nation under the union jack, its been that way for 200-300 years (?) its going to stop that way, stop spreading anti-scotish-anti british feeling because its a crock of ****
Well there wouldnt be parties such as the SNP or Plaid Cymru if it were.
Nope
Reply 34
not really IMO.. during things like the olympics/world cup maybe, but not all the time.
Reply 35
Erik.
and to be fair have democratically rejected the chance to have something similar. I think the regional assemblies were a terrible idea - the English parliament however, if that is to be the eventual solution to the WL Question which the English demand - should be based in an English provincial city (please god not Birmingham!)

I'd vote for York myself.

But honestly, I don't really think there will be an English Parliament/Assembly. For one, it would interrupt the devolution settlement in London, but more importantly it would be an unnecessary and bureaucratic organ which would possibly rival the UK Government and reduce its ability to legislate on issues.

Personally, I'd opt for a North England Assembly and a South England (not including London) Assembly more or less along the lines of the London Assembly at first. I think that could work.

Roobagnall
Well there wouldnt be parties such as the SNP or Plaid Cymru if it were.

The funny thing is when SNP voters are asked their identities from a range of ones between Scottishness and Britishness, only 37% rejected a British identity altogether saying they were "Scottish not British". Most in fact stated themselves to be "More Scottish than British". (http://www.scottishaffairs.org/onlinepub/sa/mccrone_1997-98polls.html)

I don't think even most SNP voters want full Scottish independence.

Erik.
over 80% of the population are English - it's unavoidable.

I'd disagree there. More than 90% of the population are white, but that doesn't mean we should feel white people are somehow leading the country.
Reply 36
No, because the only thing that unites them is a hate for the English... Obviously that doesn't unite the English to them, because we're not. But hey, I've got some Irish in me so it's not all bad news.
Reply 37
I'd rather split. Scotland cause us nothing but trouble especially politically when they're voting on issues that only effect England, and have their own government for their issues. It's a joke really.
Reply 38
its because were all bored if there some sort of war all differences would be forgot and we would rally together.
Erik.
and to be fair have democratically rejected the chance to have something similar.

Erm...one area of England voted not to have a regional assembly, so no-one got one. I wouldn't say that was a particularly democratic rejection of the principle.

NDGAARONDI
No doubt some chum will point out the North East had their chance to have an elected assembly but what got into their minds that people from County Durham want to associate themselves with Northumberland I don't know. We are more different to each other than London-based politicians realise. Besides, their flag fails.

Geographically,you all fit into a reasonable area- the North East. Of course the towns are different,but they're different in every area. And if you accommodate that, all you end up with are local councils, which we already have! At least you don't end up as London-And-The-South-East, that's even more annoying.

Latest

Trending

Trending